Help Tunerpro!! GM ECU Hacking. (Muncie Tries to Nuke his Ecotec)

Muncie

Im pissing around with holdens alot currently a VY commodore just an ecotec, ive just bought a spare ECU to fault find an issue i get when the engines cold.

I need to either pair it to my BCM or just turn off VATS anyone know the ins and outs. Yes theres stuff on the internet but its information in an unformatted mess of opinions usually. 

Wanting a step by step from someone who knows what they're doing to get me started and understanding what im trying to do. I do own the required lead to talk to the ecu via the OBD port and some software.

Any takers? 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, tortron said:

ive got the eeprom burner and eeprom adaptors, but i forget if they work on as late of a car as a vy

assume you are looking at Pmc hacking https://pcmhacking.net/forums/index.php?sid=263518e7771c1105bcd7a85eb65ec616

Yeah vy is done through OBD no prom in them.

Keep in mind im keen and once im into it itll make sense i just want to cut through opinions of that pcmhacking website as you can read all day and be no wiser (well i can) 

Might try going down youtube wormhole but the adds break my concentration.

in tuner pro v5  need to  load the XDF (and suitable ADX if needed) file for a vy v6 flash pcm and then read the bin file from the ecu (or use equivalent bin file and write to ecu)  from there the vats flag can be set to disable 

image.png.3e38fb22daf5a695c4b24dda50bd8bcc.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vk327 said:

@Muncie also what's the issue your having when its cold?  

Basically runs like a bag of dicks with a hunting idle rev counter needle drops to zero on and off sometimes it dies completely. Was throwing codes for no reference signal new crank angle and ignition module got rid of those and it running again.

But it miss fires and carries on till temp gauge just gets off cold undrivable till then. Turning the aircon on also seems to upset it till its warm.

Its 100% standard no pod filter or exhaust mods nothing.

IMG_10112020_115644_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_10112020_115701_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

Could be a cam sensor problem i can't remember what code they throw, vs on they run a cam sync sensor as well, the codes and data stream issues in AED are odd, could be worth setting up tunerpro adx diagnostics and see if same stuff comes up, iv flicked a message to my tuner guru mate Trevor at Holden diagnostics as well 

so Trevor reckons could have a corrupted temp table in the pcm (possibly caused by a spike from the DFI rare but does happen) he said be careful trying to  clone the pcm the flash ones are a pain and easy to brick, and it will need OSE flashtool to write, prob worth spending the $$  he does them for me for $85 and getting him to program the new PCM and pair it to your BCM and throw a tune on it at the same time, hes done a lot of these for my conversion  setups

• Like 1

@vk327 ah yes ive been in touch with Trevor too hence ive tried to source a spare ECU to send to him, i had a shady alternator for a while which could have done weird things to all the sensitive gadgets. 

Im keen to learn some tuning and get a bit more advanced, but probably after i get this stuff sorted as its been a real brain bender and at moment i just dont have money to throw at it for someone else to fix it (i will farm out what needs an expert though). but i do have tools time and a few new parts and some knowledge with VCDS From my vw.

well the stock car guys do just weld a 2 barrell holley to the top to pour fuel in and just power up the coil on fixed timing with  a three speed hq box,  if ya get stuck with it Im in hamilton and can have a look at it, been messing with  holden wiring for years now

• Like 1

Found i had the Tuner Pro zip file v5 all ready to go buried in a amongst some vw stuff on the garage laptop and the ADX files are now saved ready to go.

Will have a tutu with some basic data logging and diagnostic stuff just to have a poke around once i get the spare ecu sorted. 

Be good to log some ignition sources to see if it actually loses crank angle signal when it stutters or its just the DFI Playing silly buggers.

• 2 weeks later...

@vk327 have finally obtained a ECU To work with after been ripped of once...... anyway if i disable Vats will the car work with this new ecu or is the BCM going to shut things down? In a shit situation where i cant stop using car to send both off so it can be cloned just yet.

using OSE flash tool you will be able to  read the ecu for its bin file, the bin file can then be edited in tunerpro to turn the vats flag off then flash edited bin to the ecu using the OSE flash tool again, id recommend reading both your current ecu and the new one and save master files, should be able to plug then  new ecu into  the car to read and write it, vats should be the only thing stopping it from starting on the new ecu

Got Tunerpro up and running today monitored the live data quite a few Data errors so held off Running OSE flash tool to pull the Bin file, could be the ecu is fucked and is my entire problem.

Will swap new ECU in this week Pull the bin with OSE Flash and deactivate VATS to get it running then just monitor the error count before playing around any further. Correct me if i'm wrong but if i'm getting data errors I could have wiring issues or my laptop is another potential issue and I do not want to brick an ECU.

I got scammed out of 100$ bucks on facebook market place trying to find an ECU so this has been an expensive exercise.    

chuck the new ecu in and monitor the same datastreams as the old one 1st and see if it gets any weird errors, it should be completely functional just wont start due to vats initially. id doubt wiring issues if the car hasnt been apart too much,  I have seen faulty diag aldl cables before,  when reading the ecu make sure the battery is fully charged same with laptop,  and save save save the master file otherwise no going back (personally i save 2 separate read bin files from these incase one read fails)

Yeah cars still matching numbers and got off original owner hasn't been apart so hopefully i can discount wiring as the issue. 

Might see if i can plug into my dads vy as thats 100% happy just to see if i get data errors have had the lead a little while now.

Finally got my brain on task and understanding what im trying to do stoked new hobby! Down the rabbit hole i go.