Jesse's (not really) lantis of love

DoBro Jesus

So after a couple requests on this I thought it throw together a cheeky wee build Fred on this. 

Missus kept pissing and moaning about not having a car after selling her getz. So I went and looked at a few econobox critters. Had lined up a telstar xri, as having previously owned one we both loved them and how cheap they were to obtain. And figured it's worth the extra fuel bill for having something a bit nicer to drive and quicker than the average shitter. Anyway went to try and buy it and the dude pissed me around all day so bailed on that idea. 

Then this lantis popped up and I went and checked it out, bartered with the guy as it had a couple issues. And got it nice and cheap. Next thing you know, an hour later, me and Courtney were driving back to Ashburton to pick it up. 

I love the Mazda K series V6s so was stoked to have talked her into it. And after her piloting it back, so was she. 

So anyway, the rundown. It's a 1995 Lantis Type R, so has the higher tuned KF-ZE motor, front and rear strut braces, and an LSD box. It's bone stock aside from the fella I bought it off had put a coby type exhaust in place of the rear muffler, which I was perfectly fine with as they're a sweet sounding motor. And only just ticked over 149,000ks this weekend. 

So, the issues aren't all that major. I noticed after test driving it, it had a coolant leak coming from somewhere near the radiator but didn't quite pinpoint at the time. And the clutch is quite high on the pedal, doesn't slip 98% percent of the time, and is fine under normal driving, but thrashing it and redline shifting it has slipped momentarily a couple of times. So clutch will need to be done in the future. 

Put a basic Sony Bluetooth headunit and new front speakers in it on the weekend as it only had the crap factory radio and dead front speakers. And changed the oil and filter as it had no history of when it was done last. Tracked down the coolant leak to a split on the right side tank of the radiator too. So gummed it up temporarily with some rtv which has slowed it down while I track down a new radiator this week. Will swap that out this weekend coming. 

Plans, probably not a hell of a lot tbh, it's a really fun wee car to drive, yet still comfortable, so I wanna keep it that way. Front bumper is a little ugly so wouldn't mind tracking down a tidier one at some point. And would love to find one of those mazdaspeed type massive rear wings you could get for them. But other than that it's gonna stay pretty stock. Be sweet to maybe get some cheapo ebay headers and do a proper exhaust at some stage. 

Anyway, enough words. Have some pics and a video. 

tzgdgxrm.4af.jpg

sy1wnukv.51e.jpg

q1wghygh.3rq.jpg

4qgzuwr5.y0n.jpg

jsklqhic.4ke.jpg

ljf0bal3.rc2.jpg

5ijftrz3.wj5.jpg 

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...