VK304’s sr20det 88 vanette

Vk304

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vk304

Top Posters In This Topic

Because i like weird stuff and it seemed like a lot of effort went into this van, and previous owner was sad to see it go, i decided to tidy it up and fix some issues like leaking valve cover, handbrake ajust, new windscreen.

20190727_122059.jpg

e63d599d6e032399b44c04a1e18c86a3.0.jpg

• Like 5

Now i wish i had more photos of this time, but any way, i had done a once over and driven it to work a few times so i booked a cert for it, i told them basically i dont know f-all about it but i wanna see if it had a chance at passing lvvta.... let me know what to fix basically.. and they really did.

3 pages of failures ranging from blown out bushings to more serious stuff like the modified engine cover with modified seats, seatbelt anchorages, raised seats to a unacceptable level (i did wonder why my head was touching the roof). following photos will show some of these things..

088f96ff5ad94b968ac51a98ab325c01.0.jpg

20201101_140755.jpg

Also painted the wheels black because i diddnt like them very much.. diddnt end up looking any better haha, by this stage i had kind of given up on this van and was looking for a donor van that had a better look and maybe later model such as a 2000 + model vanette.

Found a bunch of rust and all the things it failed on was too much to bother with not to mention the effort involved in fixing all the bad work....

Soo i was looking for about 6 months for a 2000 plus vanette/bongo/mazda e2000 for around $1500-2000 with a blown engine or something, aaand just diddnt get much luck i brought one on tradedme but just before i left to go pick it up from quite far away i did a background check, money owing on it ... great so i cancelled that sale, as there was no mention of that on the trademe add... gave the seller a neutral feedback, he gave me my only bad one i've ever had :/ so i kept looking, bidded on a few but no luck.  

Could not believe how hard it was to find a van of that year considering how many i had seen for sale, then i came across the right candidate .

20190820_171223.jpg

• Like 3

1988 nissan vanette 1.5 l, column shift manual, in my price range and reg on hold. got it from auckland.

So we went again... at night.. to pick up this van that i had brought on trademe.

apparantly drove fine, just needed couply things for a warrant.

Screenshot_20200811-142431_Chrome.jpg

• Like 7

I figured well, its probably the exact same chassis and wheelbase with similar engine, year, manual, so i went to pick it up, test drive fine, so we paid the guy and left for home.

It was quite loud and rattly, but got some petrol and went to go uphill, well, it diddnt like going up hill, or on anything other than going down hills.

gutless!  But still drove so drove it until the front light disappeared on the right side...  

A head light had blown and the indicator/park light assembly was flopping around in the wind , at the same time a cop follows me.. well he just passed and i pulled over and took the light off and chucked in the van. got home safe . 

20200912_090714.jpg

• Like 7

Now I had done some research, and turns out the donor van had a h190 diff with coil springs and was quite tough, whereas this new van only had a h165, a lot weaker, so I went to go swap them out ... however the new one was a leaf spring..

20201004_171704.jpg

20200913_111053.jpg

20200920_133845.jpg

• Like 5

I took them both to work, cut the mounts off both and really just took the 2 leaf brackets and welded them on the bigger ex-coil spring one (with some measuring), swapped out some better parts to the big one, better brake drums, cylinders, a handbrake cable .. painted it and put it in . Diddnt really take much work to do . 

20201008_183142.jpg

20201009_185726.jpg

20201009_185734.jpg

• Like 5

I looked for something easy to do while I had some time, and figured I'd throw in the silvia fuel pump, removing the old pickup assembly and almost put the modified one in when I noticed a potentially dangerous situation...

20201026_160434.jpg

• Like 2