EpochNZ's Teenage Wet Dream Sierra Estate - Discuss!

EpochNZ

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, JustHarry said:

I guess whats your end goal with it @EpochNZ a pinto with a 32/36 webber and a 5 speed will be a good drivable motor that will last and not cost the earth. Im sure that @- i5oogt - can assit with sortinh a set of headers and a decent carb for it to liven it up a bit

Yeah, i think you're right.  I would like something "Not Stock" with a wee bit of pep for the street and what you suggest has been winning the arguments the voices in my head keep having.

Gearbox will be the only hassle with that as they are a bit like unicorn poo, but it might mean getting a bit inventive.

Also, seeing as the Mk2 is running well there isnt any real urgent rush to get this done so time can be taken to get it right.

Cheers everyone.

ye sorry but the main reason i got the wagon was so that the gearbox can slide on into a customers project car,you can always keep your eye out for an mt75 box it may or may not fit the hole they came in transits so shouldnt be hard to find.

so the blue wagon was 2.0 manual and 5 speed and as i said to ev i cut the plug of the loom for the distributor.

my suggestion would be duratech the cunt and put a 6 speed mazda box behind it link and throttle bodies and nice headers and widened steels lowered and drift the bollix out of it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

NC MX5 would give you a decent drive train like @avengertiger suggested. There come up on TM from time to time like this one https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/car-parts-accessories/mazda/other/listing/3236407541?bof=wiGR3YUX

I suspect it might be quite a spendy option though as there doesn't seem to be many about.

I always wondered about the 1.8 BP out of an NB MX5, slightly smaller displacement but a fair bit newer engine than the pinto. Never driven one though so couldn't say how it would go in a Sierra.

My 2cents worth and just a thought....      Changing to a none factory engine is going to require a full VIN re-certification. Potentially can be expensive.

What about the 2.0 DOHC engine that the latter sierra's came out with?    https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/car-parts-accessories/ford/engines/listing/3237936053?bof=qjIgXifk

Has better potential than the pinto as they are available 16 valve heads  and/or increase capacity to the 2.3L. Both would however require importing the parts.

Also the MT75 or the auto they come with should be cheaper than a type 9 box.

The big plus is they bolt straight in, no dicking around adapting parts and no re-cert required.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stroker said:

My 2cents worth and just a thought....      Changing to a none factory engine is going to require a full VIN re-certification. Potentially can be expensive.

What about the 2.0 DOHC engine that the latter sierra's came out with?    https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/car-parts-accessories/ford/engines/listing/3237936053?bof=qjIgXifk

Has better potential than the pinto as they are available 16 valve heads  and/or increase capacity to the 2.3L. Both would however require importing the parts.

Also the MT75 or the auto they come with should be cheaper than a type 9 box.

The big plus is they bolt straight in, no dicking around adapting parts and no re-cert required.

ANY engine change requires certification 

Cc increase requires certification

• Like 3

Same family smaller displacement doesn't.  Providing everything else remains equal, number of cams, fueling, induction type, etc. 

Unless they changed that? 

Regardless your point remains valid.  Putting anything worthwhile in it will require certification at which point you may as well put something good in it. 

SBC? 

• Like 1