Sc@Chi's Clubman Estate discussion thread

Sc@ Chi

• 2 weeks later...

Yay for a project thread finally!!!

Wow @ the rust. Yes- you should buy a shrinker stretcher. I wish I had bought one years ago! Just buy it and think this- once you have finished your resto you can sell it on to the next person who needs one. Everyone wins.

I bought one from Machinery house- I got the double headed one on a stand, worked using foot pedals, because nice to have two free hands. Plus its a pain swapping the jaws all the time between shrink and stretch.

https://www.machineryhouse.co.nz/S2262

https://www.machineryhouse.co.nz/S2263?gclid=Cj0KCQjwreT8BRDTARIsAJLI0KJRbUiZ46_2w-t1EpOY_ir-ShXCqsf3NLOZBzuocM2R1hhuj6UuUx0aAo0PEALw_wcB

Thanks for that recommendation - that's cheaper than the options I'd found. I'm quite constrained in terms of workshop space so don't know if I'll have room for the stand, but looks like a good Christmas present.

I've been a bit inspired by Project Binky so keen to try doing something a bit different in the load space. I need to change the spare wheel well anyway as the standard one is too small for the spare wheel now it has 12" Revolutions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sc@ Chi said:

I've been a bit inspired by Project Binky so keen to try doing something a bit different in the load space. So I'm going to mid mount a mazda 12a bridgeport adapted to a subaru transaxle with a subaru gears adaptor plate and run it out through some generic fwd mac strut suspension. 

Well that is a neat idea and I think we will all look forward to the updates! 

• 2 years later...
12 hours ago, yoeddynz said:

My my - that is rusty  :shock:

Looks like a typical Mini to me. They are distressingly water soluble. In the late 80s I remember dismantling a mk1 shell with my bare hands and a vacuum cleaner.  At the end the only things holding the front and rear together was the roof and the tunnel. Luckily the owners sister had another Mini we could take measurements from….. Got built into a combined road/hillclimb car and is still around although had to be done again a few years ago.

Good to see an estate getting saved. Not very many left.

Edit: Meant to also say that although I’m not the greatest Mini enthusiast (!) they do at least have a pretty simple structure and most panels are available. Some of them are even approximately the right shape.  Also great driving fun on a twisty road. Especially with a few extra horses.

• Like 3