Keltik's cast iron squirty thing

keltik

I think I learned something today.  Found a safety bulletin from maritime NZ about the dangers of badly set up wire rope steering systems.  

spacer.png

The wire has a minimum bend radius related to its diameter.  Any pulley it bends around needs to be greater than this radius or the cable will eventually fatigue and fail.

So this one which has clearly been replaced recently and is half the diameter of the others is no good.

spacer.png

Time to buy some more wire rope.

• Like 3

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my customers (also mates with our rep) has an old jet sprint boat with a moo motor in it, and I think his mummy lives across the road from you. ANYWAY, he mentioned to me he might hunt you down to be a jet boat buddy, as he's just got his, and is worried about reliability/wants a tow buddy, puhuhuh.

So yeh, if a big hairy guy in bib overalls and a stockman hat approaches you, he's not hostile.

Yet.   

Regards, VG/Pointless sharner.

• Haha 9

On 20/11/2020 at 22:45, Vintage Grumble said:

Will you take her out in the boat aswell? 

Did it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Much serenity was had and now she doesn't hate me as much for selling the spa pool to buy the boat.

Swapped in another ignition control module and drained a good 100ml of water out of the filter.  Will see on the next test run if the hot start issue is still there.  I thought it was gone, but the second VG got in the boat - it did it again.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

On 27/11/2020 at 17:06, keltik said:

Will see on the next test run if the hot start issue is still there.

Yup, still there.  Will throw a cam position sensor at it next.  I'm 99% sure that isn't the problem but I do have a spare.  Need to measure the hot cranking speed as it does sound a bit slow.

Replacing the valve and valley cover gaskets is the next priority as the nice clean new oil I put in likes to leak out a lot more.

• 2 weeks later...

To better diagnose my hot start issue, I figured it would be nice to plug into the ecu and see what it thinks is going on.

First problem was where did the guy who built this thing put the diagnostic connector... Nowhere is the answer.  So off to pick a part to liberate a complete engine loom from the VS commodore there.

spacer.png

Then to figure out how everything should be wired in, a factory service manual sure would be handy.

spacer.png

Removed the ECU from its waterproof enclosure.  They did a pretty good job filling it with foam and bathroom sealant and even glad wrap.

spacer.png

As anyone who's ever tried to waterproof anything knows....you can't.

spacer.png

So off came the glad wrap and I popped out the EEPROM chip to shake the water out of it.

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

Part 2 of the plan involved un-pinning the ECU wires that are unnecessary.  Previous guy just cut them close to the connectors but that's not very tidy.

Wired in a diagnostic port but this thing isn't exactly OBD2 compliant.  What I really need is the original GM Tech1 diagnostic tool.

spacer.png

Luckily I have access to one.  This thing is mega old-school and uses Nintendo cartridges to provide definitions data for each vehicle you use it with.  I tried using the cartridge for VS Commodore, but the first thing it does is listen for body control module data....Which never arrives because this is a boat.

Tried using the VP cartridge which lets me select 3.8 engine but still doesn't get any data.  There's 5 volts on the data line so I know it's connected.  

Plan B was to wire up the 'self test enable' line which you just short to ground and it will flash out codes through the check engine light.  This also required me to wire up a check engine light.  Got all that done and the only present fault codes are for torque converter and shift solenoid faults, which makes sense.

I really need to see live data so my next plan is to figure out another way to communicate with the ECM.

Isn't this fun!

• Like 6

if you  get hold of an ALDL cable I  can go thru  how to  setup tunerpro on a laptop to  view live data which will talk without the BCM heartbeat signal, prob easier than that old tech 1. Trevor at Holden diagnostics sells the envyous customs ALDL to  usb cables, looks like you  need the memcal setup properly to  delete the trans faults too, Trevor does memcals for my  Jetbost standalone wiring setups so  knows what  works.