VGs Tiny Squirty Thing - The Chode

Vintage Grumble

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so I've got a bit of a boat boner at the moment. Had a bit of time, so fitted a spring washer and loctite to the bolt that came loose on the steering. I also put a hose clip (will replace with a rope grip) on the steering push rod doofer, so it can't over center. I then got carried away and removed the corner dash bit, and fitted the switches and display to the lower dash, it looks a billion times better IMO. I'll get some flat bar that goes right across the dash welded in, and then put marine carpet behind it.

SxJriSR.jpg

The other night I started looking at the porpoising situation. The ride plate is about 4 deg up from parallel to the bottom of the boat, which seems wrong. It's also now touching the trim nozzle before it gets to the bottom of it's travel, so I've pushed it up a bit in the last outing, but not much.

9afP9pe.jpg

lJGwRTl.jpg

Unfortunately it's not adjustable, it's welded in, and i think the bent tube is bending. For testing purposes ima cut the tubes, bend the plate down, and ram something in the gap. I'll make a whole new set up if it fixes the problem.

DktttKo.jpg

I was thinking about wedging the unit down to help, but noticed it has a wedged plate on it already (bolted to the adapter) it's roughly 12mm thick at the top, and 8mm at the bottom.

eUDKMjh.jpg

Bonus Sharns:

This thing puts the idle up if you input steering, so it actually steers at idle. I'll look into doing away with it at some point.

eAfYEeD.jpg

The ECU also runs the bilge pump occasionally, to stop your jet ski sinking, also sort of pointless in this, as it's got a big dog auto/manual pump, so will also remove that at some point. It's also not connected to a hose at the moment, lols.

67ImVnl.jpg

I'll just have to work out how to keep the ECU happy when removing them.

Regards, VG.

P.s. if anyone knows anything about unit and ride plate angles, please school me.

• Like 3

Talked to the old owner the other day, he had problems with porpoising when he originally built the boat, took him ages to work out, but it was the nozzle being forced up by the jet blast, because the trim cables outer sheath was moving (due to not having the correct clips, it now has the proper morse clips). So I checked this, but its solid as a rock. So I've cut the ride plate supports, jammed 12mm of flat in there, and it's now basically level with the bottom of the boat, and the trim nozzle can go alllllllll the way down. I'll find out on Sunday what effect this has had. It will start bow steering if too much, which is also bad. Once I find the sweet spot, I'll make a new plate and supports, and I'll make them GRUNTY AS FUCK.

jJlxA4M.jpg

Bonus Sharns:

Weirdly, this boat has not only electrically actuated trim, but also reverse! I'll probably go to manual levers for both at some point, as being able to go in and out of reverse quickly is very handy, and currently there's no indication of where the trim nozzle is at.

Regards, VG.

• Like 7

So had a bash at J5s private wet spot on Sunday, and the porpoising was nowhere to be seen, which made boating much more pleasant, and VG very happy. BUT on the last run of the day the porpoise returned, turns out the actuator end of the trim cable is only held in place with a hose clip, and had moved (I thought the last owner was talking about the unit end, DUURRRRRR) so i've ordered the correct morse cable retainer to secure this. 

I'm now trying to decide if I bother making the ride plate any wider or longer, or just put new gruntier supports on the current one? A longer one would protect the unit better, but would also get more of a hammering when running over shit. Hmmmmmmmmm.    

And seeing as a boring update is even more boring with no pics, a pic of the manual reverse/trim lever I hope to get, I just need them to make it backwards (my boats RHD) and for a 30 series cable on the reverse rather than the 40 they use. SO PRETTY.

DSC02385.jpg.1975d2938eb990b9a473f80634acd485.jpg

Oh, also I was way too excited about getting this doofer, a cam cleat, to hold the bow rope, no more tying it to the hand rail!

images.jpg.9c276c9fd2768cfc344dd6daeab115a1.jpg

Regards, VG.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ol mate of mine is down from Aucks, and was keen to go for a bash (which we did, unfortunately) so we did the dam to dam run again (Matahina to Aniwhenua) all went well on the way up, apart from bad porpoising again, due to ride plate being bent up from rock bashing the last few outings. On the way back my steering failed again, praise allah it was just after the gnarly rapids/pressure waves, but was about as far away from the car as possible. The dude that built it, had used a 3mm bit of ali angle to hold the end of the steering cable under that dash, and it sheered off. I managed to loosen the remaining bit of angle, and wedge the edge of the bit connected to the cable under it, then do it up. I added a cable tie to try stop it popping out. Amazing it lasted the trip home, but it was a bit nerve racking driving back thinking it could fail at any moment. We hit a few things as I was scared to do sharp steering movements, or go too fast, but we made it back.

Hjtl5Yt.jpg

C4DINIo.jpg

We hit a few things we shouldn't have hit, and I made a few poor piloting decisions, which has led to some hard hits, and  some of the worst welds letting go,

KZHYVZG.jpg

I've also torn the UHMWPE by the intake, which is a bit of a pisser, not sure how I'll fix this yet,

torWivO.jpg

iQwXpIc.jpg

Also, this bit protects the bow/keel/join in the UHMWPE (I dunno boat bit names) and I made a mess of it last weekend (ref: above video)

OPTD42s.jpg

So I have lots of things to fix/upgrade/rearrange/maintain now, so might take it off the road/river for winter and get to fixin!

Regards, V "fuck that's a big rock" G.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

"Hopefully this works." Turns out it didn't. Did a run with the lads at the start of Jan, and couldn't get much over 45ish kmh before it would start porpoising. I came to the conclusion it was the stretched UHMWPE, which had become wavey, which was causing the problem. I didn't want to put a new bit of UHMWPE on just yet, as it's boating season, and it's quite a lot of work (engine out, weld up holes, re drill/tap/bolt down etc) so decided I'd chuck more bolts into the high spots to pull them down. Due to access issues, I could only do the couple of bubbles right at the back, the rest is still wobbly AF. Had to slap a fair few bolts in, as plastic is so thin/bendy (it's meant to be 10/12mm thick, this is only 6mm)

Worst bubble with just one bolt, it was about 20mm away from the hull, ended up with 3 more bolts in it.

IfnTK0g.jpeg 

I also managed to get a few more degrees of downward tilt on the trim nozzle too, so have more range to play with now.

ANYWAYS, took it to the harbour this arvo for a test run, and shit me sideways, no porpoising at all, totally flipping sweet. It's sort of blown my mind that two little humps in the plastic, right at the back of the hull, were making such a huge difference. Crazy. I forgot to take speedo phone so don't have a number, but it felt like it was going hunnitz. Fully stoked this repair worked! 

Regards, VG.

• Like 9

• 9 months later...