Valves with longer stems?

zep

I am trying to chase down some 45mm valves with 110mm stems for my engine. It's becoming apparent that they do not exist off the shelf. I can find ones that that are slightly longer or shorter (up to 5mm longer or 2mm shorter). What is the go here? If I have adjustable rocker feet that this make up the difference? Is 5mm longer too long?

Cheers

13 minutes ago, tortron said:

doesnt seem to be an issue cos everyone does it. will you need to recut any grooves?

you can put a cap on them to retain a hard surface

Wouldn't that depend on the distance the grooves are cut from the valve face, relative to the stock ones?

Haha, perhaps I don't understand what I'm talking about. I'm learning here.

COMP Cams Valve Springs 101

To keep the installed height of the spring the same as stock, doesn't the distance between the groove and the spring seat (is that its name?) need to remain the same as stock? So if the groove is further up the valve then the spring is not installed at the same height.

Am I going crazy?

• Like 1

I ran L20b valves (42mm head) in an A15 (37mm stock) I dont recall if the keeper grooves needed to be recut or not. But the ends were most definitely shortened. Yes that meant 5he gardening was lost. But i ran manley lash caps to prevent the tip of the valve from mushrooming over where the rocker arm tip worked against it. 

It worked well/I raped that engine long/hard and often. And there were no issues.

• Like 1

machining the end down on the valves is normal when getting even valve heights.

but i would suspect 5mm longer would be too much. but depends on where the keepers sit. 

i take it you also have adjustment on each rocker?

if you cant find something close you could put bigger guides and run a thicker stem valve but with the same 45mm valve.

also running different valves can lead into other issues like correct degree keepers and stuff or needing different retainers.

do you require stock valves for your engine? also what engine may help.

also kelfords in chch may have what you need also  

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 23:43, piazzanoob said:

machining the end down on the valves is normal when getting even valve heights.

but i would suspect 5mm longer would be too much. but depends on where the keepers sit. 

i take it you also have adjustment on each rocker?

if you cant find something close you could put bigger guides and run a thicker stem valve but with the same 45mm valve.

also running different valves can lead into other issues like correct degree keepers and stuff or needing different retainers.

do you require stock valves for your engine? also what engine may help.

also kelfords in chch may have what you need also  

This is for an Isuzu 4ZD1 with a 4ZE1 head. Stock valves are 38mm/44mm, I want to go up to 39mm and 45mm.

I will be using Porsche elephant feet swivel adjusters, so there should be some room to adjust them up: https://lnengineering.com/products/oem-911-adjusters.html

These will probably be what I buy for the exhaust: https://www.speedfactoryracing.net/products/supertech-tevn-1063-supertech-performance-valves-toyota-2tc-3tc-exhaust-valve-39x8x110mm-ss-blk - I've been told they work but I must be honest, I've been lazy and have not measured my stock valve length.

Assuming that the 110mm length is "stock" for a 3TC valve, these guys do a 45mm valve that is 2.54mm longer, so 112.54mm: https://www.euroexportinc.com/45mm-stainless-steel-intake-valve-toyota-2tc-3tc-0-100-length/

I'm not sure if it is an important measurement, but would the distance from the grooves to the end of the valve be 2.54mm longer, or would the grooves be cut 2.54mm further up the stem?

On 11/10/2020 at 12:38, Nominal said:

I have seen these and will probably use them if I have to cut the valve down.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, zep said:

This is for an Isuzu 4ZD1 with a 4ZE1 head. Stock valves are 38mm/44mm, I want to go up to 39mm and 45mm.

I will be using Porsche elephant feet swivel adjusters, so there should be some room to adjust them up: https://lnengineering.com/products/oem-911-adjusters.html

These will probably be what I buy for the exhaust: https://www.speedfactoryracing.net/products/supertech-tevn-1063-supertech-performance-valves-toyota-2tc-3tc-exhaust-valve-39x8x110mm-ss-blk - I've been told they work but I must be honest, I've been lazy and have not measured my stock valve length.

Assuming that the 110mm length is "stock" for a 3TC valve, these guys do a 45mm valve that is 2.54mm longer, so 112.54mm: https://www.euroexportinc.com/45mm-stainless-steel-intake-valve-toyota-2tc-3tc-0-100-length/

I'm not sure if it is an important measurement, but would the distance from the grooves to the end of the valve be 2.54mm longer, or would the grooves be cut 2.54mm further up the stem?

I have seen these and will probably use them if I have to cut the valve down.

Capture.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nominal said:

Capture.jpg

Hopefully I don't need to cut anything then!

53 minutes ago, tortron said:

you would cut the groves at whatever the stock height was

you can get blank valves in whatever flavour you want too

That could be an decent option too.