SOHC’s 1927 Ford

SOHC

2 minutes ago, igor said:

Pretty sure December 1951 is the cutoff for accurate speedo for a wof.

A vehicle first registered in New Zealand on or after 1 December 1951 that is capable of a speed exceeding 50km/h is not fitted with a speedometer, and the vehicle operator cannot produce acceptable written evidence (Note 2) that:

a) the speedometer has been removed for repair, or

b) there are no undue delays by the vehicle owner in having the speedometer replaced.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, SOHC said:

Well engine is at the builders now and it’s going to cost more than I had budgeted for, it’s going to be a $12k kinda engine 

Yep that sounds about right...  pricey still in the states too... might be worth finding a runner here or import one?

15 minutes ago, nzstato said:

Yep that sounds about right...  pricey still in the states too... might be worth finding a runner here or import one?

I am at the point of no return with rebuilding an engine, I need to come up with another 5k I think for the work.

I did buy what I was told was a rebuilt engine that is in the car now but it’s been done wrong and fumes and tapps, oil pressure not great. It’s actually more economical I think to go down the rebuild road, then I know what I have got.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, nzstato said:

I hear ya, I never tend to trust pre-built stuff too.  Is the core of it all at least good ?  No cracks where they are notorious?

It’s been hot tanked and passed a visual inspection, but it’s going to be magnafluxed and pressure tested, I hope like hell its ok, I have other engines but they won’t take the piston bearing combination I have 

Some people used the Ford or Simca V8 and flipped them upside down and made them run backwards and used the intake ports as exhaust and exhaust as intake, the V8 60 is also the worlds smallest v8, works out about 2.2 L

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/upside.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tortron said:

i have some questions about oiling, but dang thats neat

easy, dry sump, and oil pick up is under where the intake manifold use to cover.

The only question is how they attached the stainless steel sides to the tin side V860

1 hour ago, cletus said:

I wonder what the reasoning for that was? Better weight distribution? 

Seems like a lot of work to just knock the radiator pipes and plugs off when you go over a bump  

Lower centre of gravity and you don’t have the exhaust ports snaking thrugh the cooling system, guys in NZ would put wetsuits on under the racing overalls as after a race they would blow a hose off sometimes and the wetsuit stoped them getting scalded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...