SOHC’s 1927 Ford

SOHC

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ThePog said:

@SOHC GIZ a bit more background info/history please.

I really like rods that stick with shitty period engines, I understand most people want a blown big block etc, but this is way cooler.

I could have put a supercharged Windsor and better gearbox in this for far less than a flathead lol, 

There are some funny story’s involved with this car 

image.gif.e0667a158cba4e6ee18dca18cfd87bf0.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Have you considered installing a belt driven inlet manifold to your engine? I'm told that side valve motors come alive from that one simple modification. 

/ling

//not really, do it please.

I did think about it once but I want longevity and freedom from trouble, most of all I want positive crankcase ventilation 

1 hour ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Fair enough.

I did think that the rods and pistons looked a bit err,  flimsy isnt rhe word I'm looking for. But given their age, you cant expect modern looking parts.

Actually the rods in a flat head are fine for very hot motors they heat treated chrome manganese steel, all the books I have read recommended them for supercharged motors. But with the weight of the flywheel and shit you can smash gearboxes if you drop the clutch, with a banjo diff I could twist the driveshaft or shear the axel keys any time I want.

• Like 1

On 08/10/2020 at 16:40, RUNAMUCK said:

Dad told me yarns about a 34 5 window coupe he once. Itd been repowered with a slightly bigger flathead.  Reckoned the gearboxes were made of bone China.  Hit 2nd gear to hard and ot was bye bye to second gear.

The old 3 speeds are not very strong, one old guy told me he was drifting around a conner in 1 or 2nd and there was a loud bang and the gear box lost 1st and 2nd, he had a look under the car and it had blowen the whole bottom of the cace off and the lay shaft was gone but he drove it for months in 3rd 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, tortron said:

with those speedos that are shit

take the face off them and soak them in fuelite for 20 mins, then spin them over in the fuelite for a while

then air dry and put the tiniest bit of very thin oil on all the movement pivots

bet it will work fine

The VDO is shit in design and construction, but the smiths ones are ok, the old motorcycle one comes apart without having to attack it with a hammer, I gave it a lube a cople of years ago

Hey try South pacific avionics at the Ardmore airport for getting your speedo sorted.

Have had John fix a few Irreparable analog dynamometers recently surprisingly they just arrive back fixed.... no dramas. He does aircraft instruments etc so will probably be a right up his alley.

http://shop.avionics.co.nz/calibration-services#container

• Like 2