Romans 2005 Toyota Echo

Roman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This last tank was 35 litres and about 450km 
So under 8 litres per 100km with some hooning thrown in. 

I still havent retuned it properly since the wideband situation has improved. 
I'm going to try head back to the dyno and see if I can spend some time on part throttle stuff, to get economy areas tuned nicely. 
I want to see if I can connect my ECU to the dyno with canbus, so I can import power/torque into the logs. 
Then I can generate BSFC numbers in real time. 
Which is what you really need to see in order to optimize economy areas.

Also, yeah I had all of my suspension wound to the softest settings haha. 
With everything cranked the other way, it feels too stiff and every single bump on the road comes into the car. 
So it's nice to know that I've got a good usable range to work with. 
However even on stiffest, now the car rolls funny in the front when the car turns. It's always previously been quite flat in cornering.
Not sure if it's because it's a little lower and I've crossed some threshold where now the front roll center has moved significantly. 
Or just because these springs are softer than my other ones. (more likely)
So I'll start with the easiest option first, and preload the springs a bit and raise the front height some more.
Otherwise I've got a few other coilover springs to try here.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Roman said:

now the car rolls funny in the front when the car turns. It's always previously been quite flat in cornering.
Not sure if it's because it's a little lower and I've crossed some threshold where now the front roll center has moved significantly. 

wonder if it's bump steer due to being lowered, has it been aligned since fitting at this height? 

• Like 2

In my 8+ years of ownership this car has had one wheel alignment ever :lol: 

Nah it's not bump steering, well, any more than it used to anyway (semi slicks seem to accentuate it) 

But yeah, I guess if it's changed the castor angle via the top hats it'll probably be a good idea to get another alignment.

The only other time was when I swapped in the manual rack.

I dont think there's anything that can be adjusted apart from front toe. 

• Like 2

Did it have lowered springs in factory shocks before? 

If so maybe it didn't have much travel before bump stop contact, that is very common for factory suspension with lowered springs especially in the front 

maybe now it has more travel and it can roll now? 

• Like 6

Also if you are going to swap springs it might be worthwhile putting new boots on the front shocks

Inverted shocks are prone to wearing the top bush and getting crap in there, this can lead to the shafts getting worn and the chrome comes off , then the shaft can't slide smoothly and the shocks 'stick'  

I had a customer that had ohlins shocks that had play, he tried to get them rebuilt but the Japanese ones have a weird bush size that you can't get so he ended up replacing them  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The top linear bushings are available in a few sizes.. Places like saeco list them under prefix code LLB.  I had a mission finding replacement ones for my aragosta inverted shocks, but yeah definitely like @cletus with his suggestion to try and keep grit and grime out of that area.

You maybe working the suspension harder if you have more grip rather than the tyre giving way first? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Bilstein springs have heaaappss of non active coils to soak up the fact that it was lower (not by much) 

But I think what was happening is that the car didnt quite compress the non active coils at ride height. So when you turn it would just tip slightly, then instantly get a real big spring rate increase. So it stayed nice and flat.

But in this case it's a linear rate spring. I found someone else who runs these, and they said the spring rates are something like 3.5kg front and 3kg rear. So not hugely stiff. 

He recommended trying preloading them more first, which makes sense / easiest first option.

272764249_934594233905187_2471271202892707537_n.jpg.e3a205516b80cfe26cd0540a250325e4.jpg

272171482_466356581568688_2605342660265846221_n.jpg.91444d2191ef9474f1ba24b4d2ed0493.jpg

• Like 1

Another tip if you are increasing preload on a soft spring- beware of the coils being able to bind. If it's already done it there will be witness marks on the coils  

Make sure it has less bump stop clearance (including some compression of the bumpstop) than it has coil clearance (ie the combined gaps between the spring coils) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah so there's evidence of the coils binding up. 
So will definitely put some stiffer springs in there. 
Thanks for the tip @cletus

In other news, I've been wondering if it's actually worth revving to 9k at the drags, or for next time if it's more worthwhile shifting at a lower rpm.
So using dyno results, gearbox ratios and final drive ratio. Put together tractive effort graph. (followed this as a guide https://www.hpacademy.com/technical-articles/understanding-torque-and-horsepower-with-tractive-force/ ) 
So if the lines cross over from one gear to the next, it means the motor is revving higher than what is useful. (excuse my lack of meaningful axes labels and values, CBF)

I'm only using 3 gears at the drags, so it looks like it's possibly worth short shifting from 2nd to 3rd, but, there's not much in it. Not like it's wanting to change gear a whole 1000rpm earlier or anything. 
The blue line of first gear being nowhere near 2nd means that it would still be worth revving it even higher. In order for the blue line to cross the red one, I need to keep revving until the power drops to around 105-110hp

image.thumb.png.16ec4aa0e87b8622dc4b45104b897d1e.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1