Romans 2005 Toyota Echo

Roman

So rev first to 10k and the rest to 9k then?

I reckon getting the exhaust done so that all that combustion can actually get out of there is going to make revving to 9k more worthwhile.

You need to set up 1nzGarage and get some sponsors on board :P

• Like 6

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Corbie said:

I've been watching Motive Video tuning theirs since new. been interesting to see the development stages.  
Roman might need to give them some tuning advice ;) 

• Like 1

Which epoxy have you found?

I've used a few different types and they all have the same issue, you really need to have a rigid support structure during the post cure. The tg/hdt lags behind the cure temp so you should aim for post cure above service temp and expect the part to move.

The cure steps given are usually a guide to ensure you keep thermal gradients in the part low to prevent warping (as the resin cross links more it shrinks, high thermal gradients make this non uniform causing it to pull which ever way)

The better* way to post cure (and takes some time unless you push through tests) is to slowly ramp the part, for example push the oven in 10deg steps so it reaches the top temp in similar time, if the part has bulk increase the time steps. For a part that size i'd ramp over 5 hours to 180deg, I also use plenty of temp sensors to confirm gradients.

*In production sense - There are activation energy levels that may require soaks but that is another level.

You can't overdo it so for one off parts just take the ramp real slow and bob's ya fella.

• Thanks 1

Long strand fillers can make it worse unless you can insert them 100% randomly (or 100% uniform for that matter) They change the structural response to the shrinkage making it even more unpredictable, two similar flanges could end up tweaking in different ways.

The big but is they improve the end toughness by such a magnitude you're be silly not to, allow some meat to sand back flat/ holes drilled out larger etc.

Just like you're doing, smash it all together and see what happens is about the end of it!

Thats not one of the resins i've used but if its easily available its better than nothing.

Lastly (hopefully sucking eggs/benefit of others/fun police) I assume you have an oven in the workshop? the fumes from post cure are pretty nasty, really not a kitchen thing (unless you're single, career autopainter and pack a day smoker)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1