Romans 2005 Toyota Echo

Roman

Wow- I have not read this thread for ages. Great fun. Thanks for sharing and thanks for blowing up engines so we all get to learn/more thread time.

....and now I'm getting all sorts of ideas for the micra...

I machined some pockets out in some pistons for a local dude who's made a frankenstein engine using a 2E )or something 1300cc coupled with a 20v head. Its in a K20 race car.  It wasn't a chore to do really.  But your idea of having shiny new pistons with better sealing rings sounds better anyways.

I still wish my mate had offered me that little (earlier projector dash ) echo/vitz thing, a 4wd and manual version - the one I had sent you pics of ages ago when it was in here for work. He sold it fucking cheap to some fella in Wanaka. What a little weapon that could have been!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

Wow- I have not read this thread for ages. Great fun. Thanks for sharing and thanks for blowing up engines so we all get to learn/more thread time.

I machined some pockets out in some pistons for a local dude who's made a frankenstein engine using a 2E )or something 1300cc coupled with a 20v head. Its in a K20 race car.

It's a 2A from a Tercel apparently. 

2 hours ago, yoeddynz said:

I machined some pockets out in some pistons for a local dude who's made a frankenstein engine using a 2E )or something 1300cc coupled with a 20v head. Its in a K20 race car.  It wasn't a chore to do really.  But your idea of having shiny new pistons with better sealing rings sounds better anyways.

I still wish my mate had offered me that little (earlier projector dash ) echo/vitz thing, a 4wd and manual version - the one I had sent you pics of ages ago when it was in here for work. He sold it fucking cheap to some fella in Wanaka. What a little weapon that could have been!

Yeah how cool was that 4WD one! 

I've thought about getting one, they pop up from time to time. 
However I think the FWD car would be better at these power levels for most things. 
As in, It's hard to justify the extra weight when there's not much going on in the power department haha.
With LSD and good tyres for whatever you're up to, FWD isnt a huggggeee limitation on tarmac. 
With a turbo setup though, 4wd probably worth its weight in gold.

Yeah regarding piston situation, I think I'm just going to migrate this head across to one of the earlier blocks. Easiest way to get the correct pistons, and actually bolt up the bloody gearbox properly! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roman said:

Bit steeply priced, but there's one on TM at the moment 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/toyota/vitz/listing/3135567620?bof=wRVSXaqQ

4 door though, boooooo

Don't mind 4 door too much but yeah, $4500 seems a bit much. There is another locally but its a 1999 for $4k, would really want a 2000+ for 12 month warrants.

I wonder what the solid axle is? s-series? t-series? Do they even still make them?

I managed to find out a while back, that the drivetrain is the same as the 4wd starlet of the previous model. 

Which isnt exactly common either, but at least if you blew up a transfer case or something, there's some chance of finding another one. 

Not sure on the rear diff. could probably find out on toyodiy.com or similar though.

I can imagine you'd really struggle to put much power into the rear end on one of those. The diff ratio is something stupid like 2.26:1, so the driveshaft will already be under super high loads with just the factory engine

• Like 2