Romans 2005 Toyota Echo

Roman

19 minutes ago, Roman said:

Then one just popped up on Trademe so bought it. hopefully it isnt missing a UJ or something specific to the manual rack (probably is, and I'm stupid for buying this) 

gkjk.JPG.95c2848ecfd53d936aa371102382a0fb.JPG"

If modern cars are anything like my old crap, the p/s steering column may be a different length to allow for all the hydralic bits

• Like 2

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, bigfoot said:

If modern cars are anything like my old crap, the p/s steering column may be a different length to allow for all the hydralic bits

Yeah with the Carina, even swapping from a height adjustable column to one that isnt, absolutely bloody everything was different haha. 

It was also weird that my new gearbox had no speedo drive, just a blanking plate for it. 
But then thankfully it still had the nylon gear inside the box, so just plonked the other speedo drive in. 
It would have been a right bastard if that nylon inner gear wasnt there haha.

It must run the speedo signal from the ABS unit on the NCP13 model. 

Maybe because with the big block 1500 motor you're doing too many hectic skids all of the time to rely on the front wheel speed as being accurate.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, kws said:

Thanks, I had a look on some EPC sites but couldnt find a diagram like that. 

I'll call the wrecker and see if they've got the rest of the car there still.

What's the bet that sensing my desperation this part now costs $600 haha.

• Like 2

Worst case scenario looks like can get one from Ebay. But it will be annoying if this holds things up, cant really put the motor and box back in until the rack situation is sorted.

https://www.ebay.com/i/332862014592?chn=ps

EDIT: It looks like later model cars that use the electric assisted column instead of a PS rack, some of them use that same intermediate shaft. 
Might be able to find something at pick a part. phew. 

On 23/04/2021 at 02:19, Roman said:

The next shape along (ncp91) has a non ps rack because electrically assisted steering column.

Theres no electric PS from this generation (apart from Prius).

But I think it runs the pump from the higher voltage battery not 12v.

Hmmm but maybe its worth checking.

There are poverty spec echos with non PS racks but ive never come across one before.

I hear a rumour that MB have electric power steering pump in these? http://www.pickapart.co.nz/eziparts/Display_Vehicles.asp?MakeID=0&SeriesID=6280&LocationID=2&VehicleDesc=Mercedes-Benz 160

• Like 1