• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Truenotch said:

Called it? 

Heh, yes well done.
I thought I'd covered this by checking the plugs - they were all looking the same when I ran the 2NZ. 
But this was probably just because the motor was sending so much unburned oxygen out the exhaust, and I didnt realize it was running on 3, so it was wanting to make the other 3 also run super rich. 
So one rich looking plug wouldnt have stood out from the others.

My second mistake was assuming the rough running was on account of the cam timing being out, that I couldnt be bothered diagnosing any further.
So it's a pity to not have run the 2NZ as a comparative data point, but ultimately I'm super happy to get the 1NZ setup back in there!

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Muncie said:

Tried Gaspro in Hamilton? They fill bottles from anyone Coregas sent me there after I said they sucked with their 4 week wait bullshit..... same day even with a bottle test and cheap.

How recently? 
I called them as well as the place in Morrinsville, no bottles 

3 hours ago, Roman said:

How recently? 
I called them as well as the place in Morrinsville, no bottles 

Christmas, coregas got progressively more shit the longer I was using them my co2 went out of test waiting to swap then they wouldn't take it. 

You buying a bottle or just need a fill? I did both. Test and fill on my coregas co2 and bought an Argon bottle.... close to $1000 he gave me the welding consumables I piled on counter free as well. GC!

• Like 1

It could well have contributed to the engine failure. Didn't it look like your piston had pulled itself apart? Combustion adds a little cushion to the upward force on a piston zinging over TDC (and then a whole lot more pushing it down afterwards). If that cushion is missing then the piston would be subject to a whole lot more force than it would otherwise have done.

Not a done deal though as it would still have had compression cushioning it, and AFAIK the point where the most upwards force is exerted on a piston is during the exhaust stroke (where it's only cushioned by whatever restriction is offered by the exhaust port/valve). I wonder if unburnt mixture does less cushioning than burnt mixture. I bet it does as there would be a hell of a lot less energy/pressure in it trying to force its way through the valve.

Really there's no way of knowing for certain, but it's suspicious at least...

• Like 1

Yes that's actually one of my concerns with fitting a much better exhaust now, I will be lessening the dampening effect that my crappy exhaust created. haha! 

I dont think it was an issue though, as the logs dont show a lean spike happening at the time, and the motor was running great (until it wasnt) 

I must have damaged the plug recently while undoing the loom.

• Like 2

Where's the butterfly thing going in the exhaust and why do you want a bypass?

If it's just poking out the side of the exhaust bypassing a silencer then it'll probably function like a J pipe resonator. I've just fitted one of those to my Jag to combat a nasty boom around 2600rpm. Exhaust pulses travel up the tube and reflect off the end. If you size the length right you can make them return at the opposite frequency of your boom, cancelling it out.

If you've got issues with boom then that might help, with the bonus of having a straight piped section if you want to give the game away ;)

Worth noting that at double the rpm you set it at the waves will match each other and make more noise. Not an issue for me with my M57 and its 5500rpm redline, but yours might pass through that a couple of times!

• Like 1

Ah so it's like a switchable baffle. Clever!

Is it switched through boost or vacuum? You can get little vacuum solenoids off diesel BMWs (and I expect a lot of other cars), which you could tap into the ECU to get it to trigger under whatever conditions you want.

• Like 3