Romans 2005 Toyota Echo

Roman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So missed it but you have some china H beam rods? the ebay ones?

CP make pistons? like $1000? is that the path to spin this to 9k later once this one throws a leg? Said it like three times but I didnt chuck any in the engine $ it got closed, happy to chuck in 1/10th of piston costs for the best project on oldschool.

• Like 7

Once you get your "life back in order" (then tell me how its done) can you log the number of 9k pulls this engine does? 

When this one goes Bang! You'll have an idea how long one lasts. But once your shit is sorted, time for Round two of crowd funding. I'd say sub one month to raise enough coin for a third engine, and a set of forgies. Then you can build it up while waiting for this engine to scatter its gizzards all over the road. 

This thread is better value than Netflix. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It's so appropriate...

Revvin' up your engine
Listen to her howlin' roar
Metal under tension
Beggin' you to touch and go
Highway to the Danger Zone
Ride into the Danger Zone
Headin' into twilight
Spreadin' out her wings tonight
She got you jumpin' off the deck
Shovin' into overdrive
Highway to the Danger Zone
I'll take you right into the Danger Zone
You'll never say hello to you
Until you get it on the red line overload
You'll never know what you can do
Until you get it up as high as you can go
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ahhh right!
Well that makes life easy. 
I've never used that before. 

Just checking my current stats, I must have unkowingly reset it at some point.
The numbers are too low for it to be all time numbers including Carina usage.
122 hours total runtime.
I'll reset the stats for the new motor.

A lot of these stats (like 150deg temp, or 12400rpm) are from things like a sensor being unplugged or trigger errors when first setting things up.

image.png.3d117628d96dcdf58bd61c451a4422a5.png

• Like 7

On the crank front it's not wholly unusual to have 4 counterweights in 4-cylinders, especially as you say with light components. The main way I4 cranks bend is around the middle bearing. The other side of the first throw is balanced somewhat by the 2nd throw (and number 3 to number 4), which leaves a rocking couple between the 1-2 half and the 3-4 half as the crank wants to bend like a skipping rope through the middle.

You get it a lot with inline 6 cranks, like the one in my AJ6 which is counterweighted on the outermost and innermost cylinders, missing out throws 2 and 5.

High performance cranks like S54s or 4G63s tend to be fully counterweighted to sort rocking couples at the expense of greater inertia (which affects resonance), and compensate through making them super-stiff. For small engines with light components it doesn't seem like a major drawback. BMC A-Series will happily rev to 8500rpm with 4 counterweights and only 3 main bearings!

• Thanks 1

On 04/08/2022 at 18:58, kpr said:

Unsure how often it reports  a "rpm limit"   I shall do some testing next time its running and report back.    in the meantime here is a more recent one

zing.png.d287df419104a237d1d5c9c1d93ae7f9.png

/spam

It’s a pity it doesn’t log how many times you’ve loosened and tightened the cam caps, that number must be up there?

Yuck ^

17 hours ago, GARDRB said:

It’s a pity it doesn’t log how many times you’ve loosened and tightened the cam caps, that number must be up there?

Number would be up there if it logged how many liters of oil it used

• Haha 3