Romans 2005 Toyota Echo

Roman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 28/07/2022 at 12:23, Roman said:

I received a care package from the @StuScience HQ on loan to help me finish the exhaust: 

295381173_1034170780566378_2126082025805537613_n.thumb.jpg.a443a631ac5639718a3f1d598b6368ae.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's a re-modelled (ie same welder but with the knobs moved about) version of the Jasic 200 that @sheepers @Rookie and I have all got. It's a good 'reliable toyota corolla of the ac/dc world of welders'.

You'll have fun. I see a whole new level of Dave projects and associated graphs now.

Just remember fotr neat welds - cleanliness is next to godlyness (if there was a god) but what ever you do don't ever use brake cleaner to clean anything you are going to weld!!! Creates very very dangerous fumes!

• Thanks 1

Does anyone have any good advice on how to do exhaust hangers? 
It seems like a fairly simple task, but I can also see that if I hang the weight incorrectly it could put strain on the extractors, or bang around a lot if the exhaust moves heaps.

Is it a good idea to have the rubbers hang at 45 degrees rather than vertically, so it constrains movement both ways? 
I'm not sure if it's worse to have too few or too many, and what best orientation etc is. 

Better like this or like this?

image.png.dcd57b3170b688835b14764eb56d248e.png

On my last exhaust I looped the hanger around under the pipe, as I found having it welded to the sides it would eventually fatigue and rip a hole in it. As for hanging methods, I just replicated the factory method. Seemed to have held up well enough despite smashing it constantly into the road.

I was gonna say attach the runners to the gearbox, but derped and remembered your engine is facing the wrong way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tbh my man the amount of time you'll run this exhaust before you change it will be pretty short in the grand scheme of things. 

I would suggest that the hangers are Perry irrelevant to a greater extent. 

Make it look OK without trying to re invent the wheel and you'll be golden

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great progress! 

This may not be all that relevant, but I have found on my Honda due to the way its used, there is far more side loading on the exhaust from cornering forces than vertical load from its own weight.

This is something that wouldn't be a problem for a road car, but for a track machine you don't want to underestimate how much side to side loading will be applied. 

/ like sheepers says get version 1 up and running with whatever stock body mounts you have then fine tune it down the track. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Roman said:

Man I am looking forward to getting this going again with 1NZ! 

Can't wait to see and hear this happen too! 

Will the Maxpeeding rods be making an entrance before the new 1NZ goes in? Or just go again and see how long it lasts? 

Just going to put it in.

Because the rods dont work with factory pistons which have press fit pins.

They have larger clearance to suit aftermarket pistons with floating pin and circlips.

If the piston broke first then theres nothing to be gained with just rods.

• Like 2