Romans 2005 Toyota Echo

Roman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Roman said:

However it's also worth noting that it basically sounds the same, but quieter. 
If it can end up quieter but still sound like this, it's gonna be cool as! 

video not loading ;)

how about the switchable mufflers that have a straight through or bypass in them. VAREX 

a mate of mine has one on his 408ci V8, (after being scalded by the cops in a drive through breath test who couldn't hear themselves think with the prior mufflers, it's now mild V8 sounding at idle/low speeds for coming or going from home etc)

https://xforce.com.au/varex-mufflers/

• Like 2

In the time I was doing exhaust certs, I only ever had 2 ported rotaries pass with a fully legit exhaust (ie no silencer bung things or restrictor plates) and one of them was all adrenalin r mufflers , 4 resonators and a big one at the back 

I've got one on my green car and it seems to work really well for a single 3.5" 

• Like 8

Oddly any variable/adjustable exhaust like the varex ones are illegal in NZ. Unless factory fitted. 

At least thats my interpretation of it.

It would be a nice solution, you can buy cheaper exhaust throttle type things that just close a butterfly.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Roman said:

Oddly any variable/adjustable exhaust like the varex ones are illegal in NZ. Unless factory fitted. 

At least thats my interpretation of it.

It would be a nice solution, you can buy cheaper exhaust throttle type things that just close a butterfly.

Don't both routings just need to be of legal volume?

If only we had a certifier in this thread somewhere....

• Like 1

I've got a rear variable muffler/s off a clubsport or something if you want one to cut up or otherwise muck around with @Roman

They have a vacuum operated flap in one of the tailpipes, my interpretation of the rules is as long as it's not controllable from inside the car its OK, I was going to make a muffler that was straight thru under boost but went through a quiet bit under vacuum but I cbf and bought a normal muffler instead 

• Like 3

The factory vitz rs rear muffler has a spring loaded flap inside it. So its a triple pass muffler until the pressure gets high enough, then the flap opens making it straight through. Pretty cool.

A lot of toyota mufflers do this on later stuff (like altezza, celica etc) 

You can buy mufflers like this from Chase. But not sure if in 3".

Also the available space at the back really needs a circular muffler not an oval one. 

But yeah, also it might not be even necessary. The carina ended up way quieter than expected with straight through mufflers.

EDIT: 

These are the type I was thinking of, not to spendy or heavy. 
Looks like this one might even have a position sensor on it? 

EDIT2: Oh nah, it's just got a 3 wire plug so it can reverse the polarity to open or close it. 
If I wasnt using e-throttle, and could mount a position sensor. 
You could control a DC motor like that with the H bridge in the ECU that normally runs e-throttle, to get a variable position on it. 
But, I guess you only ever really want it open or closed. 
meh.

EDIT 3: 
Ones like this could be good, just use a VSV to give it vacuum or not. Then no electronics near it to cause issues.

EDIT 4: 

This one specifically could earn its keep, hhmm! Might get one. 
It's normally open, and only needs around 3-5psi to start shutting. 
So even with crappy vac source from ITB it will be fine. 

image.png.9df37cddb0956db1d3ab38938ea1d67b.png

• Like 4

I sold a bunch of adrenalinr to the Honda people at my last job, after chatting with adrenalinr a few times the recommendation was nearly always the adr019 louvre baffle

https://adrenalinr.com/shop/louvre-baffle/

Bigger body is better for quiet of course.

If you just want something livable on the street and not after max powah for street setup then a turbo flow/triple pass rear muffler will do the job. I've for a fairly small cheapie on the orthia and it's perfect as a daily. 

Edit:

I've also fitted a adr019 to the tonner with a cheaper m&h flow master copy muffler and its pretty quiet/sounds good as well (only 2.25" tubing and 2.5" reso) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Yeah it cranks over fairly evenly, doesnt seem to be an issue.
I might test these injectors as well, maybe one is a bit blocked or something.
But what makes me think its cam timing is that when I took it for a drive with standard exhaust on, you go over 50% throttle and it just goes absolutely nowhere and makes this horrid sounding induction noise.

On the timing chain for the 1.5 litre motor, its got bright yellow links on the chain to show you which ones to line up to the crank and pulleys. 

On the old motor they were only slightly different colour to start with, and then after 200,000km they were indistinguishable. So I might have it wrong. 
However I've since found a picture of a brand new timing chain and counted the number of teeth that the crank is away from the intake pulley. So easy to check

• Like 2