Romans 2005 Toyota Echo

Roman

51 minutes ago, Roman said:

I can honestly say I never thought I'd have a fabricated exhaust manifold of this quality

wait till it snaps in half haha.    As you said some kinda brace from bottom of engine will be good idea.   Probably back to where the new pipes join on if possible

• Thanks 1

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Once my new motor is here, I'll get it fitted up and get a brace welded on to somewhere sturdy on the block. 
Which might also double as something to help hold the rods in :D
Someone on Instagram messaged me to say they made a long pipe setup for their starlet which has a 1NZ. 
Quite a cool install, like so: 

291807265_611188840385374_2722439406253478501_n.jpg.4b913c7884a6c1536ba7b85d2f7e102a.jpg

291122080_1376046229584803_8943080831825437729_n.jpg.b0827f5fc34139d11dd7996e0f985015.jpg

290634745_565382524993024_5533644252605333069_n.jpg.a38f1a5048b9aeeca861a1a15203855a.jpg

In his words: 

"The stock 1nz made 105 hp on de dyno and in combination with a 2.5 inch exhaust and manifold, it ran 127 hp"

So that's a pretty epic gain! Especially with the dunga intake manifold still on it.
This doesnt imply I'd get the same % amount of gain when I'm already making more power, but it looks promising to at least get a bit more zing out of it.

Still need to buy some parts to finish an exhaust, once this arrives. 
-straight pipe
-bends
-flexi join
-o2 sensor bung (Pretty sure I've got one somewhere, but no idea where) 
-muffler(s)

Does anyone have any reccomendations on good price point for reasonable quality stuff? 
I'm thinking since it's going to have a big pipe on it, probably need to spend some money on quality parts for mufflers to help keep the noise down a bit. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Woolf mufflers in Auckland sell or at least used to sell perforated tube and fibre/stainless matting so you could build your own mufflers. 

I've got a nice 3" in twin 2" out straight through muffler off a R35 gtr you can have if you want? Would Make a nice back muffler.

• Like 1

If time isn't a issue I'm quite impressed with the ap exhaust stuff I got from rock, time will tell on the longevity of it all though. 

Landed cost was less than chase wanted for similar products 

Stickly flanges make nice flanges or if you want cheap bends then sta have them 

• Like 1

The bends from sta are shit IMO . When you cut them they are different diameters so don't match very well plus I think they have that aluminisation stuff which makes the welding difficult 

Best ones ive found are from Autobend in east tamaki. 

• Thanks 3

I've used Autobend a few times for exhaust bits. They do deal with the pooblik. They have the catalogs online, but you need to email them for prices, then they email you an invoice and your bits turn up with the courier. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cletus said:

The bends from sta are shit IMO . When you cut them they are different diameters so don't match very well plus I think they have that aluminisation stuff which makes the welding difficult 

Best ones ive found are from Autobend in east tamaki. 

Agreed, for a super cheap shitty bend they work ish. I grind the aloomizong off and it's nicer to weld. 

Auto bend stuff is heaps nicer! Thicker wall too from what I've seen. but I'm money cheap and spend a bit more time Fucking around as a result. 

• Like 2

How much are you guys paying for  a 90deg 3" from autobend? or any 90deg for that matter.    I can sort roman out with some stainless,  is about double the price of that sta stuff for bend.  but sta stuff also sounds like it should go straight in the bin haha

On 08/07/2022 at 16:17, Roman said:

Yeah so the cat converter rules are interesting. 
You could have one 2005 car that needs it, and one 2005 car that doesnt. 
Because it depends on the year the car was imported. 
In my case, no cat converter required. 

When's your WOF due? You gonna put it back to standard and get a wof while its apart :P

• Like 1

I've made a silencer before using perforated pipe, fibreglass wadding and a large aluminium tube. Weld up some stainless end-caps onto the perforated tube and pop-rivet them together. Piccy - be gentle on my ropey welds :D

My supply of large OD thin wall aluminium tube seems to have dried up though, but if anyone can think of a cheap domestic supply it was a fairly easy way to make a lightweight silencer.

10 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

I've often wondered if you could use Kaowool instead of fiberglass in a muffler.

Stainless pot scrubbers from $2 shop work as does Stainless swarf if your a tin ass most Stainless places will give you it for free.

Keen to see a full car length 3" muffler exiting mini style through middle of back bumper.

I used ceramic fibre mat as an acoustic damper on the Electron spacecraft kaowool would work, be nicer to work with.

• Like 1

I got the 1300cc motor running with the big cams/ITB/etc. 
Something is definitely quite wrong at the moment! 
It feels like 1/4 throttle compared to before. 
For some reason, its super garbage right now.
More than can be explained by the lower displacement and compression.

I'm thinking it's either running on 3 cylinders at higher load or maybe the cam timing is wrong. 
The coloured links on the timing chain were very faint. It's possible that I'm a tooth out on the crank. 
Which is annoying, because its a big pain in the ass to check it or adjust it. 

It's only another week until I should have $$ for another Prius motor turning up.
Not sure if I can be bothered troubleshooting this a bunch in the meantime. 

image.thumb.png.fa4e4fce7db2f37bbff772b434f1b98c.png

• Like 5