Romans 2005 Toyota Echo

Roman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine in your case it's quite a balancing act getting the tyres to slip the right amount to keep the engine in the right rpm range

If the tyres grip 100% then the clutch has to slip otherwise it will bog, or something breaks 

Are you aiming to do the absolute best time you can, or do you want to get more consistency for DYO racing? 

• Thanks 1

Nah I hate DYO.

Just try get the best time.

Good point about the tyre slip vs clutch. I guess thats part of where the flexy sidewall helps a lot too, to spread out that initial shock load. But still needs to spin like you say.

My 60ft time still isnt incredible though, and realistically its about the only place Ill see any gains.

A guy in Aussie with a standard engine echo is doing 1/10th faster 60fts on the smaller clutch from the 1300 motor. Has done for many seasons.

Although these tyres are awesome,  I suspect theyre also well past their prime. I was surprised how easy it was to do a skid on them even at 7psi tyre pressure.

• Like 1

I did some instant expert googling last night on the subject as it is quite interesting, and I've been down a few internet rabbit holes before on different drag tyre types 

It seems the consensus is a bit of spin is preferred with a bias ply tyre and the amount of spin can be fine tuned with pressures, if you prefer best times over consistency 

If you want to be consistent, then a 'dead hook' ie no spin is better but might be slower due to bog etc 

Drag radials are a different story again

Read some interesting discussion on clutch release controls as well to tune the amount of clutch slip

@RUNAMUCK I believe the blue rinse bullet is equipped with m+h dot bias ply drag tyres? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not 100% sure what they are tbh. They're an M&H, they dont have grooves as such, but lines made of tiny oval shaped holes. And they say DOT on them.  And they're sized 235/60/14, rather than  say 28-10.5-15. On the 1200,  once they got hot, the motor couldn't spin them.  On the regal hardtop  they chirp loudly and the car starts to sledge when they're up to temperature.  

And instead of frying up to half track when maximum throttle is applied at the change of the tree, the car sits up on its haunches a bit and slams you back in the seat. (And you clench your sphincter hoping it launches straight) heres a picture of it on the 1200. The wheel arches had been butchered. And they would only just go on. I used to remove the 50mm lowering blocks to run them at the strip.

Screenshot_20200329-190932_Chrome.jpg

• Like 4

Yeah mine are M&H dot rated, they only have two squiggles on them for tread. 
Ultimately I think the car would be faster if I stuck with the hoosiers if I got them dialled in. Or some other equivilent wider tyre.
But the narrow 13" setup suits the standard looking car a bit better I reckon, and still goes amazingly well.
It looks like the weather will be clearing up! 
Rain is supposed to stop around 11am then just cloudy from then onwards. 
I'm not sure if a colder track might make a new PB unrealistic but will see how I get on.
Fingers crossed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 bolts to remove the front pipe off the factory manifold? Might make a small difference not breathing through a straw sized exhaust haha

(It's the bogan in me from attending winter street meets in the 90s with v8s dropping their exhaust to run 15s)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Yeah I'm not so keen on dropping pipe at the manifold, especially since it's so short. 

As I'd need some epic heat shielding to stop a lot of important stuff from getting very hot.

Only another week or two until I get exhaust done, then will go back to dyno and see what it does*.

*all assuming I dont grenade something in the meantime 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Roman said:

I was curious how much the cross sectional area would be affected by having all this extra junk in the way. 

Taking a cut at what looks like the worst spot, and we've still got cross sectional area equivalent of a 74mm circle. There's still way more bellmouth area than there was with the silvertop throttles

that's exactly what i was wondering next? would there be any restriction/turbulence with this in the bell mouth? 

• Like 1

No idea, but I can do some back to back testing and find that out easy enough.

Remember that most of the air comes from around the sides, not from straight ahead.

Also the airspeed is (comparatively) incredibly low at the wide point of the bellmouth.

Unrelated picture but you get the idea:

vena5.JPG.38ff1f73b75da77080c80060d0b66921.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1