Romans 2005 Toyota Echo

Roman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if i was a casting master, and i know absolutely nothing about it. There would be no benefit if current pistons are at the strength limit of cast material without forging.

And there's no way to DIY forging as best I know.

Machined from billet might be an option, or see if anyone sells unmachined forged blanks that are close enough.

However I'm also not sure how much stronger billet would be. 

Yeah the lads in Thailand sell forged pistons in whatever CR you request. Up to 15:1 

But they're pretty spendy.

(Compared to rest of project) heh

However my Dad has ordered a 4 axis cnc that will arrive probably in a few months. Pistons and/or rods might be feasible projects eventually. But start with some easier stuff while learning.

Could maybe do a cnc port job as well, not as well as a 5 axis but would be cool.

But gonna be a learning curve.

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Will be easy to get whatever piston you want made for this if you have $$ (like $1500-2000 at a guess) we will need to up the kitty moneys though lol

Wonder if there is any off the shelf option from another motor 

Or anything fun on aliexpress

Was it ca18 pistons in a 4k or something like that, maybe it was Honda ones I can't remember 

"Rzcrew Garage - Forged Pistons 76.5mm - 8:5 to 15:0 Compression Ratio - Toyota - 1NZ-FE - RZ-FP-1NZ-FE - 8:5.1-75 - RZCrewEurope – RzcrewEurope" https://www.rzcreweurope.com/products/rzcrew-garage-forged-pistons-76-5mm-8-5-to-15-0-compression-ratio-toyota-1nz-fe-rz-fp-1nz-fe-8-5-1-75?variant=18299895775343

15:1 605euro :p

• Like 1

Oh yeah so about $1000nzd, not too bad I guess. Maybe closer to 1300 after tax and shipping.

But 15:1, sweet I can run it as a diesel too haha!

Yeah it looks like Honda D16 motor, Suzuki vitara motor, and 4efte are possible similar options with similar pin and bore size.

But people normally put the strong vitara pistons in the d16 motor and make 400hp.

But the horsepower load on a cast piston is different to the rpm trying to pull the piston apart.

• Like 1

On 26/06/2022 at 17:04, Roman said:

Either way, it might be a good idea to drill some tiny chamfers on the oil holes next time for stress relief. But I'm not sure if you can get a drill anywhere near it while the piston is intact. 
So, hopefully the rods are the problem and not this haha. 

A old-style Dremel with flex-shaft is only about 18mm around the handpiece. Set a ball end tool in there miiiight reach? (Jobmate dremel clone flex shaft is poor, avoid.)

Or do it reeeally slowly with one of these? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000126830373.html 105 Degree Angle Drill Adapte Right Angle Driver Angle Extension Power Screwdriver Drill Attachment 1/4inch Hex Bit Drill Bit

1 hour ago, shrike said:

Wonder if there is any off the shelf option from another motor 

Or anything fun on aliexpress

1 hour ago, Roman said:

Oh yeah so about $1000nzd, not too bad I guess. Maybe closer to 1300 after tax and shipping.

But 15:1, sweet I can run it as a diesel too haha!

Yeah it looks like Honda D16 motor, Suzuki vitara motor, and 4efte are possible similar options with similar pin and bore size.

But people normally put the strong vitara pistons in the d16 motor and make 400hp.

But the horsepower load on a cast piston is different to the rpm trying to pull the piston apart.

Or CBR 1000 from '04, at $89 (if 17mm is a reasonable height for yours?)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003624664740.html

image.jpeg.75713c18ee95f74a98fff2f5000a9b30.jpeg 

• Thanks 1

Ahh wow never considered bike pistons! 

I will have to get out one of the remaining intact 1nz pistons and measure it up haha

1nz piston has a compression height of 27.5mm (top of piston to centre of pin)

Ideally find something with a slightly higher number so I could machine the top to get the compression ratio right.

If the compression height number is lower, it will drop CR too much.

Might be worth buying one of those pistons to have a look though.

I'd need to press out the bronze bush in the rod and refit one for a 17mm pin instead of 18mm. Or hone the pistons to suit 18mm pin. But I'm guessing the bike one will be strong enough and probably lighter.

• Like 1

Maybe near these numbers:

https://rzcrewgarage.com/products/cp-pistons-kit-11-5-1cr-75mm-bore-toyota-1nzfe-sc7447-sc7447

Specifications:
Manufacturer Brand: CP Pistons
Part Number: SC7447
Compression Ratio: 11.5:1
Bore (mm): 75 ( STD)
Stroke (mm): 84.7
Rod Length (mm): 140.8
Pin Diameter (mm): 18
Compression Height (mm): 27.6606
Block Height (mm):
Piston weight (Gr): 226

Replacement Parts:
Pin: 708-2250-15CP1C
Rings: CPN 2953
Locks: 708 050 SWL

1 hour ago, GARDRB said:

At what amount on the give a little will you go for hayabusa??

Nah. I just need to buy Hayabusa pistons, Hayabusa rods, Hayabusa crank, Hayabusa block and head.

Then I'll have the world's fastest 1NZ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Aren't pistons not actually cylindrical? I thought quite often they are a bit bigger diameter in the middle or something. Could make it a bit more difficult to machine without a lathe or millturn machine 

They are tapered. Because they don't heat up evenly. Crown will expand more than the skirt

*oh yeah, the bit in the middle. The taper sort of tapeers back in to the bottom, so you have a surface/ring that takes the thrust against the cylinder wall. 

Probably a bit of tuning in getting that right and getting a good sealing, long milage piston at many many rpm. You could ignore it for something that's getting rebuilt every few runs