Romans 2005 Toyota Echo

Roman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, cletus said:

So looking at the dyno chart, yours should be quicker as it has peak power for pretty much a full 1000rpm vs a much shorter peak on the s/c one? 

What rpm do you shift at and how much rpm does it drop? 

For my 13.8 run: 

Launched at 5500rpm, bogged to 4500ish when the wheel speed caught up to actual speed

shifted at 9045rpm - on gear shift drops to 6040rpm 

Then shifted at 9040rpm, gear shift drops to 6725rpm 

Then crossed the line at 8400rpm in 3rd 

So yeah for a daily driver it would be pretty hectic having 35hp more at 3500rpm. But at the drags I get to stay in the meaty part of the powerband the whole time.

EDIT: 

With my new 13" setup, the diameter of a 205/60/13 is smaller than 225/50/15 (576mm instead of 607mm) 
So on the 13" tyre I'll end up crossing the line at roughly 8800rpm instead of 8400rpm.
So that works out better than expected. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, keltik said:

I believe those m5 ones grenade constantly which is why they are so easy to buy.

Good to know glad I didn't buy one then :p keen to see what DBW ITB pop up for cost effective pricing

16 hours ago, shrike said:

Good to know glad I didn't buy one then :p keen to see what DBW ITB pop up for cost effective pricing

Ive had 3 of those BMW dbw actuators fail (all second hand mind you) I changed to https://www.efihardware.com/products/3196/drive-by-wire-actuator-dbw (almost the same price as a new BMW actuator) and all problems went away and who doesnt like a bit of billet :D
Thats on my Mazda 323 with 4age Blacktop Quad

I have pondered the use of a tiny carb for part throttle cruising (say up to 1/3 throttle) then a bigger 4barrel for going hard 4 what it is 

My boss has a 428 ford with triple 2 barrels (a 350 in the middle and 2 500s) and it is better on fuel than you would expect 

I wonder if you could do a similar thing? And would it be of any benefit?

a manifold that has 4 small linked pipes to a small throttle body ( like a bigger idle control valve?) for economy purposes . Then open the big bois for max doooort 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cletus said:

I have pondered the use of a tiny carb for part throttle cruising (say up to 1/3 throttle) then a bigger 4barrel for going hard 4 what it is 

My boss has a 428 ford with triple 2 barrels (a 350 in the middle and 2 500s) and it is better on fuel than you would expect 

a manifold that has 4 small linked pipes to a small throttle body ( like a bigger idle control valve?) for economy purposes . Then open the big bois for max doooort 

The old Audi 5-pots did similar, well as best as they could given they were using K-jet to fire the juice in...

Tiny butterfly covered a surprising amount of pedal travel, then pulled the big one open with more pedal.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/attachments/12v-v6-discussion-52/24954d1339416355-anyone-have-pic-bored-un-bored-throttle-body-mance_tbs%5B1%5D.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cletus said:

Ahh yeah, I see what you mean. I think the economy benefits from a single throttle plenum come from a few things.
Firstly a comparatively big plenum volume generates much more vacuum. So better fuel vaporization as it basically just boils instantly in vac.
But then also it's more likely that all of the cylinders are getting an equal amount of air at low throttle angles. (This could be improved with some fiddling on the ITBs)
Then if you have any overlap it will draw more exhaust gas into the intake for internal EGR effect. 
But since I've also had to set my cam timing 1 tooth back to avoid clanging pistons into valves. 
I think I've also got an atkinson-ish engine currently if I set the cam timing to zero degrees. As its essentially -12 over standard.
Having cruise control (havent wired it up yet) means I can do some ignition timing tests and some aero tests repeatably and see what helps or hinders. 
So some of this will help with the ITB setup when I put it back on, but some wont. 

I've driven to Tirau and back today, then over to Tauranga and back. The combination of these trips is so far around the 4.4l/100 mark. 
Will be happy if I can keep that up.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Alfashark said:

The old Audi 5-pots did similar, well as best as they could given they were using K-jet to fire the juice in...

Tiny butterfly covered a surprising amount of pedal travel, then pulled the big one open with more pedal.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/attachments/12v-v6-discussion-52/24954d1339416355-anyone-have-pic-bored-un-bored-throttle-body-mance_tbs%5B1%5D.jpg

With e-throttle you can do even better than that, as you can scale your e-throttle table based on rpm and pedal position. 

So for example at 1500rpm you might flow as much air as the engine is ever going to want to inhale, by only 50% throttle. 

So you can make 100% push down on the pedal only opens the throttle 50%, meaning you get much better pedal control. 

But then when you get to the fun rpm zone you can scale it to 0-100% instead. 

Or you can make it non linear so the first 50% of pedal travel only operates the first 20% of throttle opening, so its not so jumpy when you first press the pedal. 

Also, I'm surprised at how awful this manifold isnt, it might actually be a good upgrade option for people with the regular 1NZ manifolds. The runner lengths are considerably shorter. Probably because the hybrid engine can use the electric motor to fill in the low rpm area better.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Roman said:

Or you can make it non linear so the first 50% of pedal travel only operates the first 20% of throttle opening, so its not so jumpy when you first press the pedal

So the opposite to those throttle controllers for diesels haha  

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Cletus I want you to know that this thread is a safe space for fuel economy chat without bullying from Spencer.

Got 4.02l per 100km on way to Auckland today. 

Might set an all new gas tank distance PB. Mean.

End of the month will have some $$ for exhaust bits.

In the meantime I will setup knock sensing properly.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5