Fred's watch

tortron

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the glass, nice watches have a sapphire one, old trench watches have an "unbreakable" celluloid one

not to be confused with the jewels, which are ruby with a hole in them to act as bearings, or the quartz crystal in a casio

• Like 1

Really lovely

IMG_20220330_113332.thumb.jpg.978e0206b230d54f11251ea98d865f6b.jpg

Winding stem is a little bent, can get new ones still so no worries if it doesn't straighten at least.  The lugs are clearly a cheap and unskilled repair at some stage, I think I can see where it originally has some standard wire lugs on it. So I think I will have some of those put back on, silver cases are pretty standard stuff to work on. this gives me the option of bigger lugs (12mm on my others) so I can get a more off the shelf strap, maybe a nato style one, tho I do like that leather one I have already. As you see, the movement is on a hinge rather than having a wee door on the back of the case. 

It actually runs really quite well without me cleaning it or anything, the crystal, sure is yellowed and has some scratches, but it's in much better cond than I thought with no crazing. Minute hand has lost a little of its tip, and it's a shame about the dial, there's a small amount of slop in the hinge so I think it probably got caught up. 

• Like 3

Great read, it triggered a memory of my late father wearing a watch with an orange face, Mum didn't remember it until I showed her a google pic of what i recalled, caught up with her tonight and she had found it, turns out its a Seiko 6139-6002 from around '73, aka a Seiko Pogue, it seems to work except for the chronograph buttons.

Thanks for posting about your watch efforts, from that I now have something very personal that I can wear to remind me of the grumpy old bastard, while I would love to have the ability to open it up i might leave this one to the experts!

• Like 4

Still running, il book it in to have the lugs replaced 

Guy that does vintage straps has been taking a break for a while, but next month ish I might get him to sort a replica of Mallory's strap (he's got a good stash of new old stock buckles which are quite different to today's as well) 

Tried to order in some silver stuff from the usual place, but still won't send to nz from the usps covid thing, tbh it doesn't work out cheaper to do the silver work myself buying small amounts of stuff. So paying the 2hrs labour is probably fine

Anyway 

IMG_20220408_095117_edit_153370868419304.thumb.jpg.b2e5b23a65257fa08bc150be8792f9b3.jpg

• Like 9

Over the top then lads

It's a 1907 British bayonet, made 1918. At some point shortened, quite well, into a clip point. Hard to say by who, could be various government armouries, its nicely shaped tho so maybe by a private individual. 

Got some new old stock wooden scales for it coming, will restore it and cut up veges with it 

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Wore it all yesterday, quite like it. 

Shows that yea it's about 3min slow in 24 hrs. 

Seller said the ballance movement looked slow, but I don't think so, just based on seeing actually slow gunked up watches. 

Today I gave the adjustor a slight bump and ran it against a timing app on my phone, but the app seems to be hit and miss, probably down to general noise in the house and old watches often being all over the place but averaging out over 24hrs.

Will wear it for another day and check tomorrow, that's a fine way to adjust when time isn't a worry. 

Gave the crystal a quick polish and it came up great 

here's the before

IMG_20240216_115447_edit_305046902843036.jpg

IMG_20240216_115451_edit_305032908318038.jpg

• Like 2