• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, BlownCorona said:

gentle evidence of age on that dial

Yeah about that

Turns out the crystal is slightly undersized and those marks are remains of the smoo that was holding it in. Most of it should clean off and I will reglue that dial. 

I have some new ones that don't fit, they want the edge reprofiled. (same with my other watches) 

I would probably keep my eye out for a smiths everest (what sir Ed used). A higher jewel count one will have less wear anyways. These pin pallet movements are known to be loud because each tick and tick is metal on metal lol

• Like 1

dreamy, but i looked them up and found one for sale for over 5k usd?? i think i best stick to the $30 barn finds. Top of my list at at the moment is an enicar because i love the logo and i think the story behind their name is cool. their surname being Racine but another member of the family already used that for their watch brand so they just reversed it. 
image.png.af9208842ed7088eadf4e6a505bdf934.png

• Like 2

Got this wee honey running within seconds over the last 3 days after a slight adjustment on the timing. What a joy. 

There's no way to adjust the seconds on something like this. Some watches you can "hack" and move the second hand back or wind the crown in a certain way and it pauses the hand. But with this you just set as close as possible, within a minute was about all that was expected apparently. Even the railroad grade pocket watches don't have that feature, apparently a second stopwatch was sometimes used for that. 

Higher grade pilots watches have the hacking button, but they everyman just lived with it

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1