Fred's watch

tortron

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got an antique Ansonia chiming clock. It runs for a bit then stops. Always said I'd get it looked at one day. It was a wedding present to my great grand parents from my great grandmothers brother. He bought the farm at passchendaele. (Suffered a direct hit from artillery, so not even his boots survived)  that looks very basic inside, and is significantly larger than what you're playing with there.

• Like 1

Oooohhhh i like this thread. Cheers for sharing. You might well find this thread here from my friends seth a good interesting read. I love the tiny tools etc. Fucked if I could do any of this work with my shitty eyesight but I love reading about other people doing this work.. 

https://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/66976/assorted-diddy-engineering

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tortron said:

Can get new glass/crystals very cheap on eBay

Probably just wants a clean bort. Is it one of those flat based wooden mantle clocks?

Yes.

You can wind the spring for the chiming part separately. It does have a lovely note, but fuck hearing that eight times between bedtime and wake up time.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm just getting into watchmaking now too.

Got myself a Breitling (windrider reserve de marche). have wanted one since forever and always figured if i managed to get one then i must be successful in my endeavors and for that reason it feels so good to wear.  
i plan on being the one to service it for the rest of my life, but am certainly not going to start out working on it so now on the hunt for a cheap non runner of something nice to start out my education. 

watch resto videos on youtube with good narration are so cathartic and relaxing to watch and have always enjoyed this thread. 

• Like 4

I have some 1930s ish ladies watch movements if you want a couple of them to play with. Had a quick look at them and balances look fine, so they should fire up with a deep clean

None of them have winders.

But can get a bag of those off ebay for cheap, or a bag of Russian watches, they sell them by the pound 

Very basic, no self winder or subdials. But if you haven't stripped a tiny watch before it's a good confidence builder

You will just need a set of screwdrivers and some tweezers to start

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, h4nd said:

I have a couple of watch timing (mic) apps on the phone, haven't got them working yet, but perhaps worth a try for adjusting.

i used one of those to check my breitling and it suggested my watch was slightly slow (id be surprised if it was dead on) but i need to fix a few little things before i wear it and check that over a month or so.

it seemed to work well though, but on a watch with low amplitude it may not hear it too well. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the strap and a late 1920s watch with no subdial

I'd consider it a shit kicker, nickel is all worn off, I dug out a close enough minute hand, I might blue it and refill the skeleton part to get it matching a bit better. Otherwise I quite like the patina. 

It's quite large as far as the trench watches I have go, likely because Post war and they started making them for style rather than emergency get every one a watch even if its a modified pocket or ladies fob. Americans tended to have the larger watches as well from what I can tell. 

Needs a crystal, il order a bunch in. 

Not my preferred style, but looks cool over my brown motorcycle jacket

IMG_20220310_132452.jpg

Really dig the strap backing, they look silly with just a 12mm strap imo, might make/get made a slightly scaled down one for the other ones

• Like 8

On 12/02/2022 at 20:04, h4nd said:

I have a couple of watch timing (mic) apps on the phone, haven't got them working yet, but perhaps worth a try for adjusting.

Doesnt work for Fred's watch due to barely having 180deg amplitude due to the escape design. 

Can get away with just timing it over a couple hours and check the gain/loss, and adjust it near enough for an old watch. More useful if you disassemble the ballance and need to get that part back in time/beat. 

Tho some of the stuff I do would cause someone who knows what they are doing to wince pretty bad 

• Like 5