Fred's watch

tortron

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is cool, especially the sleuthing you have done.

This is my pocket watch that I have had for 20 years or so. I got a toolmaker to make a new winding axle(?) as the old one was slogged out. Its missing a jewel but still seems to work pretty well. I might have to have a go at dating it now that there is internet.

It says 'A. Mardirossian, Constantinople' on the face. should try to get some better pics probably.

DacC8Fm.jpeg

ctUkvCP.jpeg

IDFs8V0.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tortron said:

ahhh, those are fake jewels i believe, the pivots are running in the brass.

Go from the markings on the movement (tho some are under the dial) some places just ordered in movements and fitted them to their own case and dial

Yea I was surprised the lack of it made no perceivable difference to it working, that would explain it. It is entirely possible it has been hacked together from odd bits, there is some evidence that it has been filed around the hinge to get it to fit. Still, I like it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThePog said:

Yea I was surprised the lack of it made no perceivable difference to it working, that would explain it. It is entirely possible it has been hacked together from odd bits, there is some evidence that it has been filed around the hinge to get it to fit. Still, I like it.

Yea i saw one on a watch forum the other day. Might even be collectable as an oddity of old watches made for tourists in the early 1900s

but thats nobody's business but the turks

• Haha 1

Yeah they werent one offs, they were made to go to market. it will be a legitimate over 100 years old watch

interestingly the swiss did the same for the american market. They made 'fake' american watches but with low end parts and american sounding names

Yup that's basically it. Available on the app store.

Not very good for the type of movement in my watch due to it having limited rotation of the balance wheel. Ones with lever escapements do close to 360 each way. Mines more like 120 total.

I did however find some timing marks on the body and wheel the other day and the watch appears to be in good beat.

Now I'm just working on getting it to run at the right speed. Itl run fast no worries (like 1 second a minute too fast) but slower it seems to stop randomly.

I have one more pivot that's the most delicate to get to and then I'm pretty much out of ideas (i.e the watch is probably worn and needs some rebushing and pivots) but I might still try a new mainspring

8 hours ago, tortron said:

Now I'm just working on getting it to run at the right speed. Itl run fast no worries (like 1 second a minute too fast) but slower it seems to stop randomly.

Have you tried removing the 3/4 race cam and putting something a little more mild in? / nothing wrong with a watch that has a lumpy idle

• Like 1