SOHC’s 27 Ford RPU

SOHC

The angle of the lever on the gearbox is at the wrong angle, it’s in N now, I thinks it’s some shitty ford thing because I think the other gearbox is the same, probably to get the the thing to stay in gear because it’s hard to get it out of 2nd and top

A2544D9B-8D1F-4CC2-B994-C29C819D481C.png

• Like 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pretty fucked off, it’s all together now apart from exhaust and fan but I found out the sump was dipped in something that fucked the new dipstick boss gasket and it’s now loose on the rivets, also it’s going to cost almost $400 for the stupid oil line fittings, I will try and do something elce  for the oil lines because I don’t want to remove the brass fittings from the block and shit to fall down inside, I know little about pipe fittings 

2B3E5D3D-33DE-4BC1-A8F0-3163C739537C.png

• Sad 3

I sealed each head stud, back it off with the power bar, put lock 2 nuts on the stud, extract stud, clean, apply sealer, install stud, remove lock nuts, fit washer and nut and re torque X 48 times.

F00CD1AD-7249-49C7-A294-15C0A8634761.jpeg

• Like 7

Shitty shit, I gess I have to take the motor out and return it, I have come to the conclusion that after the amount of money I have spent on it it would be stupid not to have a look inside and check the bearings 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

• 6 months later...

The top photo is the old gearbox and bellhousing, I had a gasket in between the bellhousing and gearbox but I didn't do this with the new one when I milled everything up the casting wasn't as good and I think its weeping a tiny bit of oil out of those 3 holes for the shift fork rods into the dents in the casting witch works its way down and into the inside of the bell housing and makes a drip of oil under the car, this is disappointing because I fitted a new seal and gasket to the font bearing retainer, If this is the case i will just ignore it.

Other than that it is going very well.

Screenshot_20211231-213726_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211231-213706_Gallery.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I got the gearbox back they totally stripped it and sed it looked really good as if it had been rebuilt recently and they sed they couldn't find any problems, it cost $100 for the job. I put some epoxy in the bad casting witch was causing the oil leak in the bellhousing. 

Should i put a gasket or silicon inbtween the bellhousing and gearbox or a gasket? 

20220121_194112.jpg

20220121_194842.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have had a problem with coolant seeping out of the head studs, I took each stud out as I re torqued the heads and put on some locktite thread sealer, this did not work with the aftermarket studs, I am going to put silicon on the threads and also use copper spray on the gaskets this time, I would have used if i built the engine anyway. This engine was never intended to use antifreeze, my 1938 motor didn't mind it but I think that thing had alot of internal rust sealing it. 

20220519_122838.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

I am going to have to remove the engine and take it back to the guy who built it, its losing oil pressure totally sometimes, i have 2 gauges one befor the oil filter and one after, both are showing the same pressure and some times it fluctuates dramatically, the only thing I can think of is the oil pump drive on the back of the cam witch is pressed on has come loose. I pinned both of the gears in the pump. I should of got him to pin that one.

I dont want to pay him any more money, I have had to take the heads off and fit new gaskets because he didn't seal the studs.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 8