Nissan Micra k11 - Mandy goes to a new happy home.

yoeddynz

7 hours ago, cletus said:

You might want to get your swap done and certed before February next year, LVVTA are increasing the cost price of a cert $50 

I'll deal with the increase. Way too many other pprojects going on right now.

Sadly I have also lost my local cert fella Barry Dowler - he's too busy doing council things and has stopped doing certs :-(. I need to seek out the other cert fella in nelson, or go to chch etc. I must do an update on that... still have some progress up my sleeve to report on :-)

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So a quick update.

Moved some cars about the yard a few days ago so I could get @Tumeke Triumph wagon onto our hoist. It was quite fun lining up the little cars and snapping some pics..

20201115-200333.jpg

20201115-200403.jpg

20201115-201818.jpg

Still not sure which of the 1.3 engines we'll keep as yet to do compression tests. Once we know we can then work out the order of parts swapping.

But more importantly - we have pretty much decided on the names..

Milly is the light blue one- the first. Seems to have the peppiest of the 1.3 , most likely due to having been trashed the most by various previous owners inc one who used it for food deliveries.

Molly is the 2nd one- the dark green one with the full fat list of options. I think her heart is a little bit of an oil burner and this is still a common excuse I'll stick to when arguing my case in the economy run we did. Plus her tyres are wider and were flat..

The new one, the darling of the bunch in striking yellow has been named Minky. She is such a clean wee car, low mileage and gives her best when trashed- which is all you can do when faced with our local hill because that little 1.0 with slushbox combination requires it.

So other than driving them we have not yet done any work or swaps. It will wait until after xmas time probably because we are behind on paid work etc.

But still buying bits- stuff that we don't need but couldn't resist. I bought this from Ebay...

20201119_220256_(Large).jpg

I love car brochures and this one has not disappointed..

20201119_220452_(Large).jpg

Must get some driving gloves for our sports march we are building...

20201119_220515_(2)_(Large).jpg

I think that Molly is a G# going by the spec sheets etc....

20201119_220537_(Large).jpg

But possibly a mixture of G# and Autostrada. Looks like the Autostrada but they dont list them with the LSD or rear discs that Molly has.

20201119_221545_(2)_(Large).jpg

Certainly has the Autostrada seats though...

20201119_220758_(Large).jpg

I'll be looking to change my wardrobe attire to more in order fit in with the upper society levels of Micra ownership...

20201119_220620_(2)_(Large).jpg

Millies magic crystal that Hannah loves so much is an optional extra...

20201119_220706_(2)_(Large).jpg

And with such fantastic things like that crystal and all the other great features that a Nissan K11 micra/march offers its no wonder that passengers are obviously fucking thrilled to take a seat in one!...

20201119_220603_(2)_(Large).jpg

So back to our collection  Big storm rolled through yesterday morning. Very heavy period of rain. Discovered today that both Milly and molly have got leaks into the passenger side floor. FFS- I thought we'd avoid all this sort of shit with the British cars but alas no. It appears that the Japanese can make cars just as leaky as the poms. I have looked into it and apparently there's a seal for the air intake under the scuttle panel that can shrink/perish. Not been an issue for us until this huge deluge. So ow Molly and Milly have their passenger carpets lifted up on blocks of wood and I'll have to pull Mollies carpet out I think- such is the Japanese efficiency of its carpets at sucking up water.

Meanwhile Minky sat there, dry as a bone- pulling cheeky little facelifted smirks at the other two. Another tick for her while the others are in the dog box.

Drove Molly inside this even so I can pull the seats out. Noticed a puddle of coolant on the workshop floor. Jacked her up and looked around to discover a weeping water pump - dripping from its drain hole...

20201119_193513_(Large).jpg

Grrrrrrr !!!! Oh Molly. Here's another nail for your coffin.

A distant snigger was heard emanating from Minkys direction.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

With a big job or of the way it's back into these little things. 

Minkys time to go under the knife and have her heart ripped out. But first...

345464262_2021-11-0418_49_41.jpg.1308117e9cd0eb781b4c2b6abf18df86.jpg

I have removed the brain box from Molly, who for those who can't remember (keep up - this is important stuff eh) is a PFL 1.3 manual.

Then I removed Minky. A facelift 1.0 auto. If the brains are the same (allowing for different fuel tables) and Mollys brain will run Minkys engine, then this could potentially save a fair bit of loom swapping. 

So far so good. The plugs and pin count are the same... 

712925018_2021-11-0418_49_56.jpg.c7524c9503d9a9cbc1b5c758bb2ce1d8.jpg

I wanted to test this out before we pull Minkys heart out. 

Tune in soon to see if the brain swap happens. 

• Like 7

YUSS!!! 

Hooray. A 1.0 facelift runs on a pfl 1.3 ecu!  Started fine and revved up fine. I won't drive it because I'm sure the fuel table is different enough that it would be out of the narrowband o2 sensors range of adjustment. 

So the only other main difference between the cars now is the brake system (oh.. Ignoring the lack of clutch pedal on minky)

They both have abs and the pumps are pretty much the same. However the molly, with her flash racecar spec disc brake rear end, has a few pipework differences and a couple of what look like pressure reducing valves in line. Not sure exactly but once we have Minkys heart out I can check it out properly. I wouldnt be surprised if the master cylinder on molly is a larger bore to suit rear calipers too. 

Id post up a video of minky starting on a pfl 1.3 ecu but its probably more fun for you all to watch some paint dry so I'll keep that bit of excessive excitement to myself.. 

• Like 6