2020 Hiace Van rear seat removal issue

Willdat?

Hi Guys,

So just an update on a solution for our rear sear removal.

After testing and looking at the wiring.  The rear seat harness that my unhelpful Toyota parts guy couldn't find is actually a part of the middle seat belt buckle. 

This middle seat belt buckle  harness also plugs into the left and right seat belt buckle wiring.

So for order for us to drive out vans without the rear seats installed. we must have all 3 buckles plugged into the rear seat connector. (the 3 seat pressure sensors not needed.)

For those who only need the rear seat a few times a year this is perfect. simply remove the rear seat. flip it upside down. remove all 3 buckles. its just 2 x 14mm bolts and a few harness retainers.

10min work if you only have half an idea of what you are doing.  connect them all together throw them zip up lunch cooler bag, have the main seat plug hanging out.  plug it in to the van side of the seat harness.

and bobs your uncle.

I will need to remove and install the seat more frequently. so I'm going to price new buckles so i don't need to remove the buckles every time.

Cheers

Brent

image0.jpeg

unnamed.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, TheHen said:

Hi Brentcv was the wiring diagram helpful at all? 

Sorry just read your reply, so there are defiantly no airbags in the seats. I know they advertise the crew van as having 2 extra and the only identification I could find was on actual seat?

Hi Thehen,   

The diagram wasn't helpful unfortunately.

I Have the Australian model.  there are defiantly no airbags in my rear seats. or pretensioners in the buckles. 

The 2 extra airbags are the second row seat curtain airbags.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all, 

I have prices the rear buckles.  actually surprisingly  cheap.

part numbers are

7338026741C0   x1   Centre Buckle  $116.88

7338026730C0  x2   Left & Right     $116.88

Total $ $385.70 (AUD)

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Brentcv Thats probably to expensive for what I get, I will eventually try an auto electrician when I need to convert that area to a kitchen for camping.

Have you had any experience doing program changes to system that currently require a dealer to modify?

1. auto folding mirrors on locking (units are available on ebay but I think this may be a programmable option)

You can Fold mirrors before exiting vehicle but then you cant check if a car is coming prior to opening door

2.pairing new FOBs or Keys (I couldn't do it using instructions on YouTube for similar Toyota's)

when i bought car new they do not supply additional master key (only Valet key which is no good for duplicating)

Dealer wants over $400 for a spare

3. wind up and down all windows using FOB . it is turned off by default but appears to be programmable by dealer. it is a very handy feature i have had on previous car. you just press and hold lock/unlock keys

I would love to know how to program the vehicle my self with software & PC

Pic1.JPG

opt1.JPG

Option1.JPG

Option2.JPG

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 25/04/2021 at 16:36, Maninder said:

Hi guys i have same problem if any solution plz let me know too i did tool my van to toyota and they said they have nothing to fix this problem 

On 26/04/2021 at 08:44, Willdat? said:

Ahhh yeah, unfortunately not, my folks ended out just using the seat as a part of the bed structure, they're pretty happy with it. To be honest it's probably just a switch that tells the van if there is a load in the back seat.

Hi Maninder. I am thinking of buying one of these to use as a camper part time but retain the seats. Would be very interested at seeing how your folks incorporated into the bed structure. Would it be possible to post any photos?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
21 minutes ago, Fjs101 said:

Hi I just want to know if I get a 10 seater van and decide to remove the last row for more storage space, will my WOF get an approval when they do checks?

Should do.

I've taken my factory 8 seater Hiace through with 2, 4 and 5 seats fitted and it's never been an issue at all.

Even taken it back for a recheck the day after inspection with 2 less and it was never mentioned.

2 hours ago, Bling said:

Belts need to be gone too, but they may be attached to seats anyway so no biggie. Just FYI.

Never had that mentioned, your mileage may vary though.

/All my rear buckles are attached to the seats, but I've still got at least some of the rear belts.

3 hours ago, Bling said:

Belts need to be gone too, but they may be attached to seats anyway so no biggie. Just FYI.

Not anymore, they changed that. I just get notes that rear belts cannot be inspected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ah cool, was a few years ago now that I was told it by inspector. Knowing me I probably would have googled it lol. New rule method is good. Does seem a bit pointless to have just belts installed though I guess. Unless installed for carting long blocks lol.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This here will be the reason the airbag warning illuminates when you disconnect the second row seat belt buckles - they are connected to the SRS ECU via the 8pin connector.

image.png.291f1e0f466b58052e8c0af3706dcbe3.png

Just in case anyone was wondering, the connector housing can be purchased individually (part number 90980-12520)

image.png.efc06998a51e363cf70531be2bd96a6d.png

Terminals for the above connector (with 160mm of wire) can also be purchased from your friendly Toyota dealer 82998-74030.

Obviously, the information above is just to help repair a broken connector / wire - you know, in the event it becomes damaged or something.

Not sure what is actually in the inner seat belts that tells the Airbag ECU is all ok either - but If I had a Hiace I would be most interested to investigate!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1