2020 Hiace Van rear seat removal issue

Willdat?

My folks have just picked up one of these. I know ugly AF, but at least they got the bumper sprayed to match the rest of it...

https://www.toyota.co.nz/new-car/hiace/HIACE-HSHA-SI2/?skuCode=HIACE-HSHA-SI2-058-11#

The major issue is that apparently they can't remove the rear seats without creating issues for the curtain airbags in the rear. The reality is that the seats in the rear is a once or twice a year kind of thing and it will be used as a trades van 99% of the time.

Can we make up a plug to fool the airbag computer into thinking the seats are still there? Or is it a little more complicated than just detecting that the seats are occupied?

Cheers, Will

• 6 months later...
On 24/04/2021 at 20:58, Brentcv said:

Hey Willdat,  

did you find a solution to this?  I have the same dilemma 

16 hours ago, Maninder said:

Hi guys i have same problem if any solution plz let me know too i did tool my van to toyota and they said they have nothing to fix this problem 

Ahhh yeah, unfortunately not, my folks ended out just using the seat as a part of the bed structure, they're pretty happy with it. To be honest it's probably just a switch that tells the van if there is a load in the back seat.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi did anyone have any luck with solution? The airbag warning dominates the drivers screen when you remove seat. i put a wooden floor in van and dont always want to have seat fitted. i have a wiring schematic from toyota but not sure how to read it correctly to enable me to make a blank and insert airbag simulators. has anyone else  be  had any sucess or be able to look at Toyota supplied document to work it out ?I can attach if anyone interested 

• Like 1

Hey Guys, 

I went to my local Toyota Dealer today to buy a rear seat harness and use it to make a dummy seat harness.  And unfortunately I lucked out getting the most the unhelpful  parts guy ever. 

it looks like the rear harness is not  spared separately, according to him. 

the rear seat contains no air  bags or pretensioners.  just occupant sensors. 

The  seat harness has a 8 pin connector.  2 pairs of wires  go to the left and right seat pressure sensors. with the two pressure sensors disconnected the SRS does not complain. and the other 2 pairs must go to the seat belt buckle switches

I think  solution is doable.   i plan to pull my seat back out and test the wiring this weekend.

TheHen can you please send me the wiring schematic? or please attach it!  that would be extremely useful.  

Cheers Brent

54 minutes ago, Bling said:

Buy a Hiace without seats in the back, problem solved lol. Are the vans cheaper with seats or something? 

For my folks it's their only vehicle with proper back seats (their other car is an 86 they've had from new). They also have better sound deadening etc. than the courier style van. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brentcv said:

Hey Guys, 

I went to my local Toyota Dealer today to buy a rear seat harness and use it to make a dummy seat harness.  And unfortunately I lucked out getting the most the unhelpful  parts guy ever. 

it looks like the rear harness is not  spared separately, according to him. 

the rear seat contains no air  bags or pretensioners.  just occupant sensors. 

The  seat harness has a 8 pin connector.  2 pairs of wires  go to the left and right seat pressure sensors. with the two pressure sensors disconnected the SRS does not complain. and the other 2 pairs must go to the seat belt buckle switches

I think  solution is doable.   i plan to pull my seat back out and test the wiring this weekend.

TheHen can you please send me the wiring schematic? or please attach it!  that would be extremely useful.  

Cheers Brent

The document is a PDF I am not sure how to share it here? I can try converting or I can do some screen shots?