Solidstripe's O/S Toy Hauler

solidstripe

Swage lines! That sounds so much better than "logs" hahaha...

Where about's did you work Chris? It was a bit of a mish trying to find cladding or even a wreck to take some off so ended up just making it ourselves. Measured once but it didn't feel right and realized I had to offset the measurements a bit to allow for the shrinkage from folding. Thankfully came out pretty good for a first try. 

All sorts of toys! :D Hopefully by the time it's done it will have space to fit at least 3 - 4 motorbikes, or a kei car (anything up to 3m long or so depending on the bumper set up) and/or a dingy and still sleep our family of 4 and be self-contained. AND still work as a functioning office too! Bring on the working holidays... haha

• Like 6

13 hours ago, azzurro said:

this is OS M9

Looks choice, cool idea, conversion and nice save, surprised they are not more common TBH. 

Mate, there's enough space to have O/S jazzersize classes haha - Enroll now!

Yeah I thought it would be more common. But it's the only O/S toy hauler I've seen in NZ. There's quite a few modern ones. 

Ok, onto the paint prep. Now I've been around a paint can once or twice, but I have no idea what paint they used on this, it was the oddest stuff - as can be seen in the photos, the original paint was crazy cracking everywhere, yet for some reason it was impossible to sand off, even with the most gnarliest sandpaper I could find for the orbital sander (I think I was down to 60 grit? and it still wouldn't budge). Despite all the elbow grease and the abrasion it wouldn't sand off. I have no idea how something could be so flaky, yet still somehow have such awesome adhesion! Which turned out to be a bad thing, but a good thing, as you will see. 

IMG_20191107_152153.thumb.jpg.7ecc7da8faa871b48eaaac74669189be.jpg

We ended up trying some paint stripper, two coats didn't work so tried the "cling wrap" method which worked a lot better. This is were you put the paint stripper on, then lay cling wrap over it straight away to try stop the VOC's from off gassing as quick and keeps it more reactive for longer. While it improved the performance, it was still slow going and tedious. The photo below where there's a square of mostly raw metal took ALOT of sanding and several coats of stripper to achieve. Considering the amount of m2 real estate on this badboy, I was not impressed with the ET calculations, so had to come up with another plan...

IMG_20191129_161628.thumb.jpg.ada48a07f93f36932e8239170a26a0e9.jpg

• Like 1

This is about as flat as we got it. Got all the flakey bits off however the height difference between the metal and the paint surface was still quite uneven, quite a few microns. There's no typical auto paint that could look good on that surface - However, the coating system I had in mind was thicker than the micron difference and stuck like high school nick name. I just hope it would work as I hadn't seen it applied to such a rugged surface. 

Here's a pic of it prepped and waterproofed. We took it camping like this looking all ratty, was crack up watching all the people looking at it in disgust when it arrived at the campground but a few came by to say they thought the opening back end was pretty cool. I was tempted to leave it like this but also wanted to ensure it was waterproof so ended up painting it.

IMG_20200308_121909.thumb.jpg.bac8013cebd24c5c226b6e33f6efdf87.jpg

• Like 3

Old mate helping with spraying the raptor liner. If you have a decent compressor the kits come with the 2 pot paint and the gun. It is way cheaper than normal auto paint, more durable, uv resistant, scratch resistant, flexible and provides good waterproofing properties etc. so is a good option if you don't mind the rugged texture look, which I'm a fan of. Tip for players: If I was to do this again, I would tint the etch primer undercoat the same colour as the Raptor Liner to help with coverage. This stuff can be tinted any colour and is available from your local Resene Auto shop. As you can see, we were able to do it in the back yard on a still day. It's pretty easy for DIYer's too as it doesn't appear to run despite the high DFT. 

IMG_20200308_165847.thumb.jpg.3ee97ccd5cff4e0492eae9ea600d0100.jpg

• Like 2