RUNAMUCK

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 13/08/2021 at 19:47, RUNAMUCK said:

Dunno about you lot, but I was cooked after day two. It took everything I had to buy beers and get chopped in Nelson.

Bbq at the accommodation was legit. (Just need more beers next time, because IIrC, I ran out and had to scab beers off @Pee Dubs

Day 2 literally broke me, had to stock up on beers as pain relief! The Nelson accom was perfect, BBQ dinner a win, but we missed a few ppl due space - need to organise and book one place in advance if possible.

• Like 3

On 13/08/2021 at 18:29, RUNAMUCK said:

Just musing here,

Last year it was suggested next year we ride it In reverse.  How does everyone feel about that?  I feel the anticlockwise route was a good one. Day one mellow as fuck,

Day two impossibly hard,

Day three a fun level of riding. 

What are your thoughts,

@Chris.QCR

@Truenotch

@Chunky_t

@WankBankA100

As a newb rider the relatively mild day 1 allowed me to ease into this event, relax a little, and get my bike properly sorted (not the only one who needed this). I reckon leave it as is for his reason, even if the old hands have to feel like it's a Sunday cruise (sorry guys). Maybe work in some interesting side trails?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Pee Dubs said:

As a newb rider the relatively mild day 1 allowed me to ease into this event, relax a little, and get my bike properly sorted (not the only one who needed this). I reckon leave it as is for his reason, even if the old hands have to feel like it's a Sunday cruise (sorry guys). Maybe work in some interesting side trails?

There's plenty of side trails on day 1 like Mt Altimarloch, or other bits and pieces towards Hanmer if you went in the Rainbow a wee way. https://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/gps-tracks-rides/south-island-tracks/

• Like 2

My 2 cents, the ride was perfect the way it was. Food, brews, BBQs and good dudes with awesome riding. The direction it ran was perfect, like a few have said, to iron out any issues in the easier day. And if Jollies Pass didn’t shake it out of you, the rest of the ride was going to be fine!

As for side tracks, there was talk of Mt Altimarloch on Day 1, and Mt Robert on Day3, but fuck knows when we would have squeezed them in? We were rolling into town fairly late at the end of a big days ride. Not sure riders, fuel or bikes could have taken much more. 

• Like 1

Day one I'm sure we could squeeze in one side mish. The riding is so easy, that it's no stretch.

Day two was the ultimate test of man and machine. (Summiting Mt Patriarch, and the Maungataupu track  might not be for everyone)

I really need to start the thread for next years event. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris.QCR said:

For me day 2 was the highlight! Those two trails were the best.

I have a possible top of the south island loop planned for a future ride that includes these plus quite a few other adventures, we'll see what the appetite is post Molesworth 2022.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/08/2021 at 18:29, RUNAMUCK said:

Just musing here,

Last year it was suggested next year we ride it In reverse.  How does everyone feel about that?  I feel the anticlockwise route was a good one. Day one mellow as fuck,

Day two impossibly hard,

Day three a fun level of riding. 

What are your thoughts,

@Chris.QCR

@Truenotch

@Chunky_t

@WankBankA100

Since I have the smaller front sprocket to throw on, I reckon the bike will be sweet on the super steep uphill stuff. I reckon yes!