Molesworth Moped Melee, 5th, 6th. 7th march 2021

RUNAMUCK

1 hour ago, RUNAMUCK said:

A bike like @Truenotch/ @WankBankA100/ a CT would be the ideal small bike imho. 

The NBC defo went hard for what it was too.  Hats off to @Chunky_t for being the only leading link bike to finish. 

Depending on how high that river is, smaller bikes might need to go across on a trailer.  I'm not sure I would have made it across if it had been another 30mm deeper.

Yeah, but parts of day 2 were at the A100’s absolute limits. I had to walk ride the bike and ride the shit out of the clutch to get up those rocky rutted out uphill sections.

I’m not convinced any twist and go’s would survive. Maybe a bigger cc street magic? Maybe?

EDIT: I do weigh 120kg, so being a bit lighter might have helped the A100’s cause.

• Like 1

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Chunky_t said:

Who’s making the cold chisel award trophy for next year @RUNAMUCK 

I remembered drifting off to sleep last night that I have a concrete Bolster chisel in the work ute which is half broken. 

The percussion end indeed resembles the anoose of this rides participants.....

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RUNAMUCK said:

I remembered drifting off to sleep last night that I have a concrete Bolster chisel in the work ute which is half broken. 

The percussion end indeed resembles the anoose of this rides participants.....

Perfect! 

@peteretep the rivers look like they were all pretty high through the Rainbow due to the recent rain - the previous weekend they were half that deep. I'd also say a decent twist and go will find out out on Jollies Pass right at the start if it's up for the mission (apparently it was as/more gnarly than Patriach). The Maungatapu generally gets worse as you head up it, I'd say if you decided to pull pin and head back to the road you'd arrive in Nelson at a pretty similar time to the guys that go over the top. @Chris.QCR might be able to confirm that though (did you beat Aaron/Mark to town on Saturday?).

Hey fullas. Monkey Jeff here, not long time listener, first time caller. Just thought I should join up, chime in and say a massive thanks to you all.

That was my first time riding in a group like that, first multi day ride, and first ride on a small bike of any distance. It was just fucking brilliant! I haven't figured out who is who yet, but more big ups to the arrangers and handlers; Bart, Karl, Will and the boys in the 4WDs and on the barbie. I may go to the supermarket just to get DoBros and sossies and remember good times.

The Monkey was comfy to ride, bit of a sore back from being hunched over but all good now. What surprised me was the speed that some of the bikes had. While no Monkey likes a fat man on it's back, it needs better gearing and suspension before the next Melee. Even lighter Sean said his suspension was bad. I did love it on the Mangatapu though.

The riding over the three days was too good to describe, every day so different. Highlight was Mt Patriarch and Day 2 in general, as I hadn't been up there before. But watching everyone smash out all the roads was so cool. Some bikes I just didn't expect to make it, and they just blew it out of the water.

I'll figure out how to load yup the photos, I think Steve was going to put something together so if you want to let mew know the best way to share that and the riding app info we talked about, let me know.

Other than that, just thanks again!

• Like 8

The Maungatapu Saddle.

Some relief after some intense riding on the way up. It was at this point here that Mark & Aaron who had taken the sealed road over the Whangamoas from Pelorus to Nelson checked into our room. They said it was the smoothest sealed road they had ridden

Screenshot_20210309-173743_Gallery.jpg

• Like 5