Molesworth Moped Melee, 5th, 6th. 7th march 2021

RUNAMUCK

39 minutes ago, Chunky_t said:

And another thought - we should ride the queen charlotte road on the way to pelorus before the mangatapu track, could do Blenhiem>picton (bit of 100km/h but not all the way) then do Picton>havelock via the queen charlotte. 

I'm really easy!

@Willdat? is a mastermind behind this shit show. (I'm just the tool who started the thread)

• Like 1

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Chunky_t said:

And another thought - we should ride the queen charlotte road on the way to pelorus before the mangatapu track, could do Blenhiem>picton (bit of 100km/h but not all the way) then do Picton>havelock via the queen charlotte. 

Yep - but then we'd miss Mt Patriarch.

1 minute ago, Chunky_t said:

Isn’t that further south? I’m talking about on day two so we would have done mt patriarch already, I think? Haha. 

Nope, Mt Patriarch is on day two. We go from Blenheim to Renwick, then head up North Bank road to Mt Patriarch.

If there are people looking to avoid gravel as much as possible your route suggestion would be ideal. They would probably want to avoid the Maungatapu section from Pelorus to Nelson too as that is definitely the most 'technical' part of the ride. If you have never ridden gravel before I'd avoid this section.

I'm looking into the possibility of getting a support truck through here tomorrow, stay tuned... 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Willdat? said:

Nope, Mt Patriarch is on day two. We go from Blenheim to Renwick, then head up North Bank road to Mt Patriarch.

If there are people looking to avoid gravel as much as possible your route suggestion would be ideal. They would probably want to avoid the Maungatapu section from Pelorus to Nelson too as that is definitely the most 'technical' part of the ride. If you have never ridden gravel before I'd avoid this section.

I'm looking into the possibility of getting a support truck through here tomorrow, stay tuned... 

I see now haha yeah that queen charlotte pest won’t work

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, DoBro Jesus said:

Fuck I don't think I'm gonna have a bike ready in time for this, so will have to either bail or bring a support vehicle haha. 

I'm going to be on a WR250R which isn't really in the spirit of the event, but does mean I can actually ride as still way too broken for days of ass punishment. 

I don't know how the protocol works on this officially but I'd imagine a koha would be offered to support vehicle drivers towards fuel. 

Still waiting on NCC chap to get back from holiday next week. At the moment I'd assume we can get a support vehicle from Pelorus into where we turn off to the Maungatapu, then meet it again in town. 

On the plus side, the speed limit across the Whangamoas has been lowered to a small bike friendly speed. It's an amazing bit of road too... 

45 minutes ago, Willdat? said:

I'm going to be on a WR250R which isn't really in the spirit of the event, but does mean I can actually ride as still way too broken for days of ass punishment. 

I don't know how the protocol works on this officially but I'd imagine a koha would be offered to support vehicle drivers towards fuel. 

Still waiting on NCC chap to get back from holiday next week. At the moment I'd assume we can get a support vehicle from Pelorus into where we turn off to the Maungatapu, then meet it again in town. 

On the plus side, the speed limit across the Whangamoas has been lowered to a small bike friendly speed. It's an amazing bit of road too... 

I'm not worried about costs, happy to bring the paj just for the fun of the trip. Tow trailer for broken bikes etc. But yeah just have too much on at the mo to get any of my bikes sorted. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Willdat? said:

koha would be offered to support vehicle drivers towards fuel. 

Don't even worry about it 

2 hours ago, Willdat? said:

At the moment I'd assume we can get a support vehicle from Pelorus into where we turn off to the Maungatapu, then meet it again in town

What's this now? Vehicle access problem, or too gnarly?

8 hours ago, Mof said:

Don't even worry about it 

What's this now? Vehicle access problem, or too gnarly?

It's technically closed to vehicles after a boy died (in a Samurai) on it ~10 years ago.

Dozens of motorbikes are up there every weekend, if not every day. 

Getting 4WD access requires access to a key, which I'm working on. But I have my suspicions that it's s going to be a bit tricky.

@WankBankA100

@RUNAMUCKand I have talked about keeping it as low key as possible to avoid any public liability issues.

The theory is that we're just a group of riders who are all going the same way at the same time, what a coincidence, but there might be good reasons why we would want a form too, I'll defer to @RUNAMUCKhere. 

7 minutes ago, peteretep said:

its suitable for a 50cc twistngo?

We're doing ~200km a day, the Maungatapu would be a little exciting on 10/12" wheels (especially with road tyres), but should be doable. If we can't get 4x4 support through there then I will play tail end Charlie to make sure everyone makes it through. 

1 hour ago, peteretep said:

its suitable for a 50cc twistngo?

I'm going to say yes. But the support vehicles might hate you if you hold them up too much. 

I'll probably offer up my twist and go if someone is desperate enough. I did eastcape, and the undertaking on Ronnie the Dio. And while it went hard for what it was, it's not much fun being the slowest rider. 

(this year a C50 was the slowest bike on the undertaking too)

There will be a form, as that will give us a spreadsheet with next of kin etc (I already have most of your wives and mothers phone numbers pewhuhuhu)  

I looked into the public liability aspect for the datsun club when the health and safety act was updated in 2017(?) 

Volunteer organizations are exempt.

Koha will be to cover roadside BBQ, fuel for back up vehicles, spare fuel for the back up vehicles to carry, and any other  incidentals. 

Theres only really a couple more details to finalize, and a form will be out. 

The north island pest had a $20 donation. I dunno if that's too much or not?

• Like 1