Molesworth Moped Melee, 5th, 6th. 7th march 2021

RUNAMUCK

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having never been on a multiday group ride of this size, my idea is that the detours are there and back style routes that are optional and have pretty spectacular scenery, but may be on the gnarlier side for an SJ50 on stock tyres. The peaks/road ends I'm looking at are Mt Altimarloch (1700m and 100% fine weather dependent), Mt Patriarch (1500m), Inwoods lookout (1000m) and the Mt Robert carpark (800m).

Is there an appetite for this? Or do we need to stick together the whole way? The logic of the detours is that the less intrepid riders can wait at the bottom and enjoy the serenity.

Ideally your bike will be able to do 200km without needing fuel, as there isn't a lot of petrol stations where we're going! Here's Day 1 as a little tease, I haven't figured out how to trim the bit of the route that heads out to SH1 yet... 

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1G4yXjXAnRQ8CSi-WwTN4hghbMgk89sek&usp=sharing

1 hour ago, Willdat? said:

Having never been on a multiday group ride of this size, my idea is that the detours are there and back style routes that are optional and have pretty spectacular scenery, but may be on the gnarlier side for an SJ50 on stock tyres. The peaks/road ends I'm looking at are Mt Altimarloch (1700m and 100% fine weather dependent), Mt Patriarch (1500m), Inwoods lookout (1000m) and the Mt Robert carpark (800m).

Is there an appetite for this? Or do we need to stick together the whole way? The logic of the detours is that the less intrepid riders can wait at the bottom and enjoy the serenity.

Ideally your bike will be able to do 200km without needing fuel, as there isn't a lot of petrol stations where we're going! Here's Day 1 as a little tease, I haven't figured out how to trim the bit of the route that heads out to SH1 yet... 

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1G4yXjXAnRQ8CSi-WwTN4hghbMgk89sek&usp=sharing

10” dirt tyres exist. 

• Thanks 1

It’s generally better to stick together and follow the event holders specific route with a re groups along the way to stop people disappearing without a trace from happening and needing to go full S.A.R. 

These big rides are a handful for the organiser. The way John pulls of the north island long rides is dang commendable. 

It fully is. That man is something else. Given that accommodation wont be a problem, theres not really a limit on how big this might get.  (Within reason)  but since I'm not your mum, (I struggle to take care of myself most of the time) theres going to be a lot of personal responsibility/look after each other. 

/probably be me needing my shoulder put back in on the side of the road/trip to hospital. (Again)