Toyota speed sensor wiring issue (GX61)

Hachi-ichi

Yo OS. 

Thought I'd post up here as it's the last electrical issue with my engine swap and I genuinely do not see an easy fix. 

I've done the entire swap and everything is tickety-boo generally. 

• The car before the swap was a GX61 Cresta Super Lucent: 1G-EU (AFM) and factory W57 5 speed. 
  • I swapped into it a 1G-GEU (MAP) bluetop from an automatic GA70 Supra. 
  • I retained the W57

As I've wired the check engine lamp correctly, I can get error codes (yay).

The issue I have is the car throws a code 42 which is: 

582174390_ScreenShot2020-09-05at3_27_15PM.png.97eff9e53ec1d8e384da87e56dd4a57a.png

The symptoms for code 42 are a forced limp mode after ~4000 rpm (can feel it cutting fuel), not good.

• To me, this makes sense as the factory 1G-EU ECU does NOT have a ECU pin for "SPD". 
  • Clearly, there is an open circuit for the pin SPD which feeds the ECU a signal telling the ECU how fact the car is moving.
  • in a 1G-GEU, the pin: "SPD" receives an electrical signal from the dash cluster I believe. 

My question is, without SPD in the 1G-GEU ECU getting a signal from the dash cluster, is there anyway to prevent it tripping a code 42?

I've done some basic trouble shooting such as:

1. Grounding SPD pin (obviously a fail);
  2. checking the factory GX61 dash harness plug to engine harness for extra pins which may be SPD (to no avail).

Has anyone had experience with swapping a car that required an electric speed signal to the ECU where the factory dash loom did not have the provision for it?

50306305608_681a5d34e2_b.jpg

50306274448_5b2b82dee6_c.jpg

50307111437_cb4552a710_c.jpg

There used to be a Jaycar kit that had a simulated speed output - I used it a couple of times on Blacktop 20v swaps into older cars without the reed switch in the cluster to create the signal.  Not sure if they are still available but it would solve your issue.

• Like 1