The other V twin - Vee Quad.

Muncie

Well this just got placed in my boot its brand spanking new all the parts are still in boxes for my favourite price of nothing.

I have no idea what I'll do with it yet suggestions welcome.

20200901_070607.jpg

Edited by Muncie
Scope creep.
  • Like 4

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some info its a Lifan 250cc 

The ignition setup would be perfect for the turbo v-twin i have so may try swapping some parts around. The 5 speed box has my mind racing.

Type 4 Stroke Twin cylinders, V-Twin, four stroke, air-cooled
Displacement (c.c.) 248cc
Bore x Stroke (mm) 49.0 x 66.0
Max HP 16.25 HP @ 8,000 rpm
Max Torque 13 ftlbs @ 6,000 rpm
Compression 10.0:1
Ignition system: CDI (Capacitive Discharge Ignition)
Idle 1,300 rpm 
Starter Kick and Electric
Clutch Manual Wet Multiple Plate
Transmission Left foot gear-change, five-gear constant meshing
Lubrication Pressure splash inner-outer scavenger rotor

• Like 2

Cool so this is a clone of a Yamaha xv250 virago the Yamaha bike wasn't too shit for a 250 and sounded good so this could be useful.

Hmm decisions decisions will have to curb my enthusiasm though and finish some other shit first,  or hope something with wheels drops in my lap missing a motor.

• Like 1

I have half a mini chopper and a v-twin........ all i need is half a quad and i have a trike been a pretty logical easy build.

Will make it run and properly assess the situation as this would bolt into my drift quad but not so keen on 5 gears and my kids hitting triple digit speeds. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got in to work yesterday morning and theres an envelope on my desk with the full wiring loom diagram and some hand drawn notes, 

The good bugger that gave me the motor found them when moving house and made a trip in to work make sure i had them.

So i unboxed the loom and started plugging stuff together and quickly realized this is an entire bike loom, brake lights indicaters dashboard plugs the lot. Here i was thinking it was an extremely complicated stand alone loom.

Its going to need some extras plugged in to make it run, ill grab an aliexpress digital bike dash so i can have some idea whats going on and go from there.

Meanwhile theres Engine mounting to be done.

• Like 7

This will be happening BTW have found it to be lazy easy fit to the quad i was building so will just make it be and get it ridable asap

Sprocket and disc have been fitted to axle just need to change sprocket to 428 pitch on engine and start moving mounts around to make chain line up. Currently needs to move 20mm to right and thats it.

Unsure if carb is actually downdraft looks wrong to me so may need to jam a 90 degree silicone joiner in there.

20200906_125014.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Raizer said:

Carb is correct, just turned a bit 

30275.jpg.ccdb6fa433d3c514aca8fa3f50c86d6e.jpg

It looks wrong but probably isn't looks like a normal sidedraft must be internally different for downdraft duties. Failing that i have a pair of 32mm Mikuni's...... nope must not fuck with it ffs im terrible. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

20200906_125014.thumb.jpg.a860ab3e88dde8aa078932a856af30b1.jpg

Change of plans this is going to be in the drift quad now it is far easier to fit and will get running way quicker than the turbo engine which was going to be an ass to find a suitable drive setup (which incidentally has been sold for a criminal amount). Back down to a manageable hoard.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Needed some motorvation to get this going though haven't had a great deal of luck finding a wiring loom diagram that matches up to the colours on this loom, off by miles!

Brain fart occurs today just hotwire the CDI and jumper lead direct to the starter. 2-3 attempts and it runs well no exhaust or airbox so the carb isn't 100% on point but it runs on 2 and revs quite well.

First run ever for this engine.

Whoop motivation! Time to order more parts now i have an engine that will move something.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thinking about making the top of frame open around engine as the vtwin once all polished up will be a real feature.

Plan in my head is to brace the front an rear of frame to engine mounts so the engine becomes a semi stressed part of the structure, will replace the bottom tubes with something meaty like 25mm box section as that'll help with getting everything flat for mounting.

Decided to shove engine forward too for minimum wheelies max wheel spin. Got eye out for a set of extra wide go kart rear wheels.

Have found a blank 520 sprocket too which sorts the rear axle, big chain im used to 420 pitch which i chew through with monotonous regularity on my other projects.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Something has happened. Ive combined this with my sons now retired motorized mobility scooter as he just got to tall for it but it had a very stout chassis.

Quad front is welded on seat will be dropped down heaps and moved back,

axle placement will settle where it functions best and gives enough leg room.

Robin engine will go on to work out kinks but vtwin is been sat in as i go so it fits for when im happy its all going to work.

16251246143243912134649492549630.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Its on its wheels again suspension all working bit of a squat going on.

Fully welded up too its ridged as fuck with the mobility scooter chassis as a base.

Was considering bars going back to seat from front suspension but doesn't seem to need it at this stage theres no flex.

Plenty of room around engine for legs too stretch out.

20210826_164651.jpg

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Kimjon said:

Looking good. Love the v twin!!

It would be a bit weak in a bike but should be pretty fun in this and it looks sweet! engine mounts are made i just need box section to finish it up where the rear mount will go.

Ive got some mikunis off a kawasaki that would be perfect if its too asthmatic.

This is for my daughter shes 14 and just recently got her head around riding a dirtbike. 

• Like 2

Found a random 22 tooth sprocket in 520 pitch that will bolt straight on from Moto1 been looking for ages and bugger me the chain was on special too! Couldnt believe my luck.

Might unravel wiring loom today and pull out all the lights and gauge wiring it wont need.

Screenshot_20210828-125252_Trade Me.jpg

• Like 2

Surge of enthusiasm this arvo thinned out the wiring to engine only. Recon i can take more out theres no stand interlocks or anything so can unpin that stuff as well.

Figured out how to mount engine solidly now ive got chain and sprocket sorted i can align engine and zap it in.

IMG_28082021_155644_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_28082021_155701_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 3