The other V twin - Vee Quad.

Muncie

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Engine lined up with rear sprocket and mounts welded in today started to pop and fizz a bit on last weld underneath. So thats it I'm out of welding gas but the rest is bolt in stuff.

Just need chain, sprocket and the wiring done then can think about a open pipe ride around block.

Proportions are pretty epic! This was a 125cc quad so its basically got a second engine stuffed in to it.

20210829_182144.jpg

• Like 4

Got chain on clutch working throttle ready to go so ripped into the wiring got everything squared away enough for a test fire...... no spark.

The ignitor isn't showing a single sign of life no current draw at all. I did find a diode tucked into the wiring loom up near where hand controls wire in which doesn't appear in the wiring diagram I got with engine, but does on another one i was given (via oldschool.co.nz)

Any ideas anyone? I may just try a generic single cylinder DC module as this just fires both coils at same time so should work.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Took for fucking ever to decipher the wiring diagram to get this running again after gutting the loom, china must have run out the correct colour's when they made the loom so I was off to an ass kicking before I started.

Anyway 2 hours of combining wires in different combinations I electrocuted myself and was stoked as that meant I had spark.

Engine is welded in chains on so shortly after the vid I parked it against the garage wall and smacked it 1st 2nd 3rd to run it in, plenty of poke! Needs a clutch lever a gear stick and a whole lot of fettling but its a runner.

• Like 4

Runs on its own now currently a crash start with a capacitor to keep everything going cobbled together an exhaust for front cylinder. This thing is so much louder than anything else I've built its going to need a full system and a decent muffler.

Still I might jam on trailer tonight and go somewhere uninhabited for a squirt, clutch is on and works though its ridiculously heavy so for anyone other than myself it'll need a foot clutch. Will see if it frees up with use.

Stuck airfilter on and its 100mm above handlebars....nuts looking but at least it keeps petrol out of your eyes.

20211005_153825.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Test ride complete shes a ripper! First gear is really tall so was all I needed to squirt around Backyard however the rear wheels aren't what I intend to run so gearing should be bang on once I find some 7" wide go kart rears.

Clutch did improve a bit and it's running really crisp now guessing valve seats have sealed up, probably a little bit of rust on them as this engine sat for ages and has never been run.

Rear axle pivot location is shit and interferes with chain and is too light for proper punishment, for now have just locked the rear suspension out will redo later will just enjoy it going for now.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sheepers said:

i like how you've set this up so the first time you crash it not only is your nut sack your air bag, you get 3rd degree burn to the scrotum to add to the fun.

well done. 

Also the rear cylinder head prevents you going over the handlebars.

Very much work in progress at moment finding out what works and what needs changing/moving. Exhaust will get tucked away wrapped and shielded just got sick of staring at it in corner of garage not going.

• Like 1

I splashed out last week on hydraulic brakes and a really nice shift lever for this. 

Had squirted it around block a few times up till now. 

Took it to a nice grass area today where kids could get used to it my son of course after a 5 minutes decided a 2nd gear clutch dump would be fun and ripped the back axle out of it.... 

Headed home bit of grinding and bit of bracing it was alive again no harm done,  took straight back to park again where it ran faultless for about an hour till we ran out of petrol. 

Quick vid of my son cruising back to trailer.

Needs a full exhaust but it's mint!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, datlow said:

Can get those hydraulic clutch conversions if it’s still too hard?

NZ$ 7.70  18% Off | High Quality 1 Pc Motorcycle Hydraulic Clutch Master Cylinder Rod Brake Pump M10x1.25mm Aluminum
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMu4UQa

just looking at those as my new brakes arrived with a left hand hydraulic cylinder so will swap that over to a right hand cylinder and use existing to run clutch. 

Can ditch the big old cable too.

This thing is so nice to biff on trailer too light enough I can load with one arm can see me getting some use out of it. Maybe some time on beach over summer.

• Like 3

My daughter finally got a ride on this too shes been waiting 4 years for her own engine thing. She's pretty happy but clutch was to much for her so she had to bang shift it and just stall it to stop. 

Normally a chatterbox I asked how it was to ride her answer. It's angry I love it.

Mission accomplished now to fine tuning to make it user friendly to start and ride. It corners like a motherfucker though and gets tail happy with a bit of a clutch pop!

• Like 4

Took this out today and ran 3 tanks of gas through it nothing broke no one fell off...... well I ran my own leg over trying to crash start it but that doesn't count.

Have made some short headers for it they're gross but work no more exhaust into your crotch.

Then my daughter jumped on it and proceeds to show my son and I how to 4th gear power slide it up the road (put to shame) it bloody rips!

Sounds good but looking at some harley pipes for it as they're surprisingly cheap and should fit nicely out of way.

Going to get some kart rear wheels asap these vibrate like a bastard once you get cooking and it turns them pretty effortlessly too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered bits to convert clutch to hydraulic from cable fitted a battery wired up hand controls so it's a case of hop on push button ride. 

I'm going to re do back axle mount and make it proper beefy as currently it works but interferes with chain path. Will add a second shock too so it can handle my weight going over bumps. 

Meanwhile I've got a 2 stroke distraction in garage im having a ball with.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

So this thing doesn't drift...... it does fucking hectic donuts though, on tarseal you need to stay up it as it bites if you back off mid spin. More practice is needed I think, and some slick go kart tyres for Rear would help as the sidewall rolls under on the quad tyres.

Sounds pretty much like a V Rod in both tone and volume im extremely unpopular with my neighbours tonight and large chunks of lawn are hanging off the fence.

IMG_16112021_192810_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

The noise from this though absolutely glorious does limit the ability to use it. I looked at buying all the bends....  expensive, using the equal length headers I made for my scooter they mount on wrong side.

So instead I stumbled across full exhaust system off a Harley Davidson night rod which mounts on the right side and is designed to tuck up quite high so should land in a good spot.

Should tone it down a bit and still sound good I may need to make a muffler to keep the length inside the wheel base.

Screenshot_20211119-203916_Trade Me.jpg

Screenshot_20211119-204545_Trade Me.jpg

Screenshot_20211119-204602_Trade Me.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Harley exhaust arrived fits where I want it surprisingly well but mufflers are absolutely huge so may get chopped in half and tigged back together came with a massive catalytic converter which I won't use so takes about 600mm out of things.

Will continue to shuffle things may be able to chop things around and tuck in more everywhere.

IMG_04122021_174957_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 5

Looks like fuck all has changed, but the hydraulic clutch conversion is done is light as fuck but a little short on stroke so will either use a trailer master cylinder and convert to foot action or redrill the pivot point does disengage at least.

Vrod pipes are on all welded up too surprisingly easily fitted just pinched the ends in over some stainless steel cones I had and welded some tabs on to bolt on to heads.

Will need to make a muffler nothing I have fits.

20211212_164829.jpg

• Like 3

This things starting to fight me a bit randomly dropped a cylinder which turned out to be a plug ffs none available anywhere like litteraly zilch in country, thought I'd try local repco "computer says no...." check your shelves guess what they had 2 hurray.

Get home wont start fuel pump has shat itself fuck. Cleaned it out but doesn't like where my tank is sitting moved tank pump now works.

Lots of cranking later starter motor now calls it quits so it's dead till new one gets here from China as nz suppliers seem to think 400+75 freight is reasonable.

Deep breathing exercises..... fuck it redid exhaust as stuck out to far used a small muffler I had off something else. Will do the swingarm mods and paint it and call it finished.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Rant over, exhaust has all the Harley heat shields so only gets warm and tucks right up in to motor now which is mint

just need to decide if pegs go up front or sort of mid frame. Front feels mint have trialed myself and kids have ridden too using vicegrips, for something so short it's pretty comfortable I would like to add front brakes and a foot gear shift later on so usable places for feet are important.

IMG_20122021_171401_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_20122021_171422_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1