Holley carb talk.

MACKAZ

What I would do is wire the secondaries shut, half a 600 should be about right. Make sure the power valve is OK and set the float levels. Years ago a mate had a nasty 265 Hemi with a 600 on it and a really big spring in the secondaries (basically never opened), Changed the spring for a lighter one, it didn't go any faster but drank a heap more fuel.

Regarding the transition, the "transfer slot" which supplies fuel mixture at part opening until the airflow through the venturis is sufficient to draw fuel through from the main circuit, these are metered off the idle screws. So if its lean just off idle, I'd fatten if the idle mixture screws a bit. 

On the subject of the idle screws, if the are foil stickers on the metering blocks around the idle screws, then it's a "reverse" idle screw. Where it controls air to the idle circuit instead of fuel. (Some emissions bullshit) so winding it In makes it richer, and winding it out makes it leaner.  Often the foil is still visible, but the "reverse" part is no longer legible.

20 minutes ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Foil stickers

Hasn't got any of those. I found the instructions difficult to follow, appeared blurred, and had different options to what my carb has. I found it bloody confusing. Ended up finding clearer documentation through holley.com. 

I'm curious to find out what it's been jetted for having #60 in it instead of its original #66. 

Under usual circumstances I'd be grabbing another carb off Dad, but with him being retired the stream of parts has dried up.... 

I dont have anythin technical to add than has been already...

However my reason for wanting to post was purely to say thank fuck no dick has said to put an edlebrock on it, go way better and never need to tune it again! 

Argh, i hate those cunts with a passion.

• Haha 1

Ha!

I was totes going to suggest a 500cfm 4bbl carterBrock! 

They're a spreadbore, so small primaries for tootle-ing around. And big holes for when you're doorting. 

Plus they have a draft door on the secondaries. So even pegged wide open, the engine never gets more air than it can pull. Perfect for a small* engine like the O.P. has. (No over carburation issues) 

Also plus, they cant leak because the bowl is sealed. 

You really need to buy a tuning pack of jets and needles to set them up right Is all.  The 750 on dads 418 goes whizzer. When you open the secondaries at 50mph, the car tries to change lanes.

On 02/09/2020 at 18:43, nzed said:

I dont have anythin technical to add than has been already...

However my reason for wanting to post was purely to say thank fuck no dick has said to put an edlebrock on it, go way better and never need to tune it again! 

Argh, i hate those cunts with a passion.

Ditto this, hate them with a passion. Must get around to swapping mine out.

14 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

How many cfm is it?

I'm not sure. It's on a big block Oldsmobile rocket. All the yanks use them, I don't like them. Have played around with holleys a lot over the years and find them a lot more tuneable. I picked up a new 600vs with manually adjustable floats (old school)  when I was in the states last time. Just got to get off my ass and fit it.

34 minutes ago, RUNAMUCK said:

I was thinking more about scavenging your carterbrock. Lol. But I probably dont actually need it. I agree holleys are pretty simple 

I wont be using it again after it comes off. I'll do some research and see what model it is next time i'm in that particular shed.

• Like 1