joe's "my dad had one of those" mk2 cortina

MightyJoe

Ah cool, I took it to work on a saturday a few weeks back and put it over the pit and checked  it over (and under) for a wof, and yeah everyone comments on the wheels. I saw a set and wanted some, but I was very lucky to find what I wanted so easily. 

• Like 1

She photographs well but as I said after I left it outside for 9 months at work the bodywork took a turn. Theres bubbles on the front of the bonnet and poor repairs previously anyway, and the bog started to show itself through the paint. All fixable though, and this should be the start of the upkeep she deserves. 

I started out not caring, having had a few 1600s before but shes a bit rarer being an early one and I'm glad I kept the original engine tbh. It's hard to beat the noise of a high revving kent motor with Webers on. 

A twink is the dream tbh. Although for the money, theres easier ways to get 170hp

• Like 2

i took it on a spirited drive 'over the hill' to LYT on wed with a friend who's just got his MGB back on the rd. tbh i was struggling to keep up and we weren't even breaking the speed limit, just not really using brakes.  After swapping out the brake pads last weekend i knew they'd need some more bedding in but tbh they're still dangerously inadequate. i've got a set of austin princess 4 pots which i've had forever in need of a rebuild or i'm not sure if i should just go for wilwoods. 13" wheels are the deciding factor. also, the back end got loose a few times and i really wasn't pushing it ( honest! ). shockies are worn out. so the 'bit of a tidy up' for the hop has just taken a more expensive turn. still . good to find these things out now. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Great example of the mk2. Credit to you for all the new equipment/love its getting. I have the same wheels on my van but I dont have centre caps or the screws/plugs around the outside. Do you have a closer picture of the caps and plugs? I'm keen to get some for mine.

• Like 1

Thanks man, it's a bit overdue I neglected her for a few yrs, but after buying a house and sorting visas etc I can divert some funds her way now, I hadn't driven it in so long it had dropped off the map tbh which is never a good thing. Il get her stopping and cornering right then look into paint. The bolts are plastic. I'm missing a few so would also be keen to find some tbh. They have a serrated back a bit like a wall plug and are just a push fit. 

20200912_142951.jpg

• Like 1

Rollercoaster weekend mate hah. I cant get the boot open at all. But yeah it looks like boot, rear panel and drivers side light at this point. The bumper has moved but hopefully its just the mount has bent. No idea if the boot floor is damaged.  Yeah hes been in touch, were all insured so hopefully itll all get fixed easy enough. 

• Like 4

Cheers mate. I spoke to the panel guy this afternoon. Canterbury Auto fab. He reckons it's no problem. I just need to locate a light lens. All good. I'll try and find a mint one and just give them the receipt. I was pissed off at the time but the insurance seems to be onto it, panel and paint is being done, so hopefully she'll come out of it that bit tidier. Then theres just the other rust scabs to fix..... hah. Nah. Its patina M9. 

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

I was pissed! Haha. Couldn't believe it man. But Yeah it's something I've considered. I bought an ali express led strip but I will probably go for something slightly more retro looking. I don't know if I was the fact it's a red car with low down (dimmer than a new car)  brake lights or it's a manual and you use your gears to slow down, and the fact you dont sit in traffic with your foot on the brake or something. You're right though, people seem to need a bright red light in their faces these days 

Red interior is very nice. A White or black  car would be the nuts with that  combo tbh. And gold wheels. I've got a thing for gold wheels!  Yeah, my dad had a few but the title is because that's what most people say to me about it. My dad had one of those, commence sharns of caravan towing, boating, breaking down etc. Good times.

• Like 1