Bucket Barry Rambles On

tortron

44 minutes ago, kyteler said:

Actually, that reminds me, I think I've seen more Ramblers in sheds than on the road.  Were they particularly susceptible to rust or motor problems or simply hard or expensive to get parts for? 

Not sure to be honest. Haven't had a lot to do with them in the past.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, anglia4 said:

Not sure to be honest. Haven't had a lot to do with them in the past.

Ok good news they are kinda considered mopar in the USA and parts are available for them in the usa, bad news, they arnt as common as a chevy or ford.

just a few quick questions, sorry for the obvious sounding ones.

1. is the handbrake actually off (slack cable and adjusters off), and is it in neutral, not park.

2. have you tried towing it backwards?

try putting a bit of pressure on backwards and hitting with a hammer, otherwise its wheels off and hit drums with a hammer. to be honest ive never had a car that didnt come off by being jerked backwards.

Doh I just read the new bit, glad to see it finally released its hold. 

Looks a really decent start to a project. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, anglia4 said:

Yeah dads been over to Horopito already and collected a new bumper, front guard, and maybe a couple of other bits.

Lots of Jeep stuff seems to be the same as well. 

Yes the six cylinder is very very similar, and the 70s v8 too

Its got the 6cyl in it at the moment.

We've got a shed full of cars with 60's tech carburetted V8's though, so the AMC donk won't be returned to the engine bay once it comes out.

This is getting something much more modern with the idea that it can be a real driver, should start every time you hit the key, and there should be no reason that you wouldn't trust it to drive to the Coromandel for the weekend.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kyteler said:

Actually, that reminds me, I think I've seen more Ramblers in sheds than on the road.  Were they particularly susceptible to rust or motor problems or simply hard or expensive to get parts for? 

Hard to get parts for.  Only 300-600 cars sold per year between 1958 and 1971. Assembled by Motor Holdings in Otahuhu from 1958-62 (alongside VW), before Campbell Industries took over and assembled in Thames from 64-71 (alongside Peugeot, Hino, Datsun and Toyota).

Rambler assemblers at Motor Holdings Otahuhu in 1962.

1538858171062.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1