Pie Family's hoonda dream machine

hampie

8 hours ago, solidstripe said:

I have a box of left over Raptor traction sand that you can mix in for the bonnet so it's extra grippy for all the deer/boars that get slung over the bonnet from hunting haha

Haha, thanks. Pretty sure a boar would be bigger than the Honda. Will hit you up for some raptor tips though

• Like 1

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Sambo said:

Where do you buy Raptor, and what does it cost?

Keen to do the bumpers and wheel arches on my Paj with it, since it can be colour matched.

Resene or similar paint places I think. Can't remember the cost but I remember it being kind of spendy when we looked it up. @solidstripe might have a better idea. We are probably going to go with a cheaper equivalent tbh

@Guypie thinks a big part of why we fell over was because the trailer was designed wrong and the axle was in the wrong place. The trailer was in pretty poor shape after the crash so he decided to rebuild it. Basically all that's left of the old trailer is the guards, some angle iron and the springs. We can tick "able to tow fire wood out of a boggy paddock" off of the list of Honda requirements. What a little champ

PicsArt_10-01-09.27.26.jpg

• Like 9

13 hours ago, hampie said:

Resene or similar paint places I think. Can't remember the cost but I remember it being kind of spendy when we looked it up. @solidstripe might have a better idea. We are probably going to go with a cheaper equivalent tbh

I bought mine from Union Hardware 1998 Ltd, in Wellington. They have a sister store called Car Colours in Auckland on the North Shore. It was still expensive, but even with shipping it was still significantly cheaper than what I could get it for locally in Whangarei (only 1 retailer here who sells it, that I know of). 

They have semi regular sales too which brings the price down a fair bit.

But yeah, definitely cheaper 2 pot liner options out there. 

• Like 1

On 30/09/2020 at 10:03, Sambo said:

Where do you buy Raptor, and what does it cost?

Keen to do the bumpers and wheel arches on my Paj with it, since it can be colour matched.

I obtained mine through Resene Auto in Tauranga - awesome team there, really helpful. 

I used a mates trade account and the cost worked out way more affordable than typical auto paint. I was surprised at the price without the horrific retail mark up. A car would likely work out cheaper still due to surface area differential. The salesperson says they can't understand how Raptor can produce it at such an affordable price when compared to other two pot auto paints. 

I also used the Resene etch primer instead of the Raptor - same stuff, massive price difference. If I were to do it again, I would definitely try tint the etch primer to be matching the top coat colour as if it's a bit thin it wouldn't show through as much. 

Sorry for the thread hijack, any Q's, DM me if you want. Sweet job on the trailer guy!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WhangareiKE70 said:

I bought mine from Union Hardware 1998 Ltd, in Wellington. They have a sister store called Car Colours in Auckland on the North Shore. It was still expensive, but even with shipping it was still significantly cheaper than what I could get it for locally in Whangarei (only 1 retailer here who sells it, that I know of). 

They have semi regular sales too which brings the price down a fair bit.

But yeah, definitely cheaper 2 pot liner options out there. 

I've bought stuff from Car Colours before. Are any of the alternatives tintable?

Sorry for the spam Hampie, nice firewood haul.

https://www.wyatt.co.nz/shop/PAINT/PROTECTIVE+PRODUCTS/Gravlguard+and+Coatings/Pro+Form+Tintable+Buck+Shot+Truck+Bed+Protective+Coating+3.5L+Kit+PF22256%3Fsku=PF22256.html

This one is tintable and a bit cheaper. The tinting costs money too though and I will need to check out coverage and m2 of the car to figure out how much of what I need to get the job done.

• Like 1

You can also thin it with acetone and tutu with the air pressure/flow rate to increase the coverage and alter the finished surface texture too. However, if you add the tint, there is only a tiny amount of volume/space left for any extra thinners in the bottles (at least in the Raptor bottles). I mean I'm no Bottle Scientist, but you would think Industrial Design 101 would be to have a bottle size that's adequate to accommodate the product, the allowable level of thinner AND tint. 

• Like 1

Hahaha, by the looks of it, the IQ requirements aren't too high so I might be in with a shot :D 

The nozzle on the Swartz (something like that) gun that comes with the kit is HUGE when compared to normal spray gun. I am unsure if a normal gun would function properly and might get blocked easy and either stop, or start spraying uneven clumps anyway. I would suggest thinning it up, and running low pressure and then moderate your distance and speed to get the desired finish. Also, beware they only have a 1 hr pot life once mixed, so you have to work fast and ideally have someone else mixing the next one for you while you spray as you don't want the gun line to clog up. We worked pretty quickly and ran acetone through every second bottle used to keep the line and gun clean and flowing free. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Update-less picture..

A8BA7D9A-6988-401B-B7E6-90872C978878.thumb.jpeg.2e71d1c26073ddecd5b462900e75d921.jpeg

So this thing isn’t really meeting our towing needs (who would have thought).. having to go into second or first gear to get up hills when we’re towing a light trailer with motorbikes and tent on the roof was getting really tedious so we decided we would upgrade.. ended up buying a relatively modern, capable manual diesel which has proven itself to be nothing but unreliable.. have owned it since oct and only had 3 weeks at most use out of it (fortunately it was bought from a dealer so we aren’t forking out to get it fixed at least) 

Just got the new car back last night from the mechanic.. updated the RUCs and Reg, filled it up with diesel ready for our camping trip this weekend and then on my drive home.. limp mode! Blargh!

Good thing we’ve still got the trusty ol’ HRV to rely on. 

So as it sits, nothing much cosmetic has changed on the honda since the last update.. we do have the paint but it’s yet to be painted. We just ended up matching the yellow because we thought with getting a new car, we’d just flick the honda off.. looks like we’re never selling though, it’s just too damn reliable and owes us nothing.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, hampie said:

Update-less picture..

A8BA7D9A-6988-401B-B7E6-90872C978878.thumb.jpeg.2e71d1c26073ddecd5b462900e75d921.jpeg

So this thing isn’t really meeting our towing needs (who would have thought).. having to go into second or first gear to get up hills when we’re towing a light trailer with motorbikes and tent on the roof was getting really tedious so we decided we would upgrade.. ended up buying a relatively modern, capable manual diesel which has proven itself to be nothing but unreliable.. have owned it since oct and only had 3 weeks at most use out of it (fortunately it was bought from a dealer so we aren’t forking out to get it fixed at least) 

Just got the new car back last night from the mechanic.. updated the RUCs and Reg, filled it up with diesel ready for our camping trip this weekend and then on my drive home.. limp mode! Blargh!

Good thing we’ve still got the trusty ol’ HRV to rely on. 

So as it sits, nothing much cosmetic has changed on the honda since the last update.. we do have the paint but it’s yet to be painted. We just ended up matching the yellow because we thought with getting a new car, we’d just flick the honda off.. looks like we’re never selling though, it’s just too damn reliable and owes us nothing.

what's the new car? 

On 18/12/2021 at 18:40, tortron said:

Can you Honda lego some more power out of it? 

Yeah, I think once it's not our sole tow vehicle we will probs do something fun with it. Don't want to tinker with the only reliable car we have though.

14 hours ago, rumrum said:

what's the new car? 

Suzuki Grand Vitara. Really nice aside from the gremlins so hoping they can sort it.

9 hours ago, hampie said:

Yeah, I think once it's not our sole tow vehicle we will probs do something fun with it. Don't want to tinker with the only reliable car we have though.

Suzuki Grand Vitara. Really nice aside from the gremlins so hoping they can sort it.

diesel? sold mine just before lock down..... would just completely shut off and die randomly was a  rank angle sensor... really liked that car but the seals on the back doors and windows started leaking badly and the sills were starting to rust so I did what I could and sold..

• Like 1