Cullen's Datsun 510

RUNAMUCK

Also, add to your shopping list the rear diff from a 4wd primera. As I understand it, they're an R180 VlSD. With CV axles. (Get those too) since the 4wd primera are actually a primera body on a  4wd Avenair chassis, theres a decent chance the rear diff from a 4wd Aveniar will also be an R180 VLSD. 

• Like 1

Nice car , funny how you can never have just one old car

Interested in the R180 conversion is it the same mounting points on the front of the diff? moustache bar?

Mine has r200 mounted / comanion flanges changed / CVs etc , I just havent done the axles yet...............have been considering going smaller nugget actually

Going to get creative with the welder and see how the axles go anyway

1 hour ago, sr1600 said:

Nice car , funny how you can never have just one old car

Interested in the R180 conversion is it the same mounting points on the front of the diff? moustache bar?

Mine has r200 mounted / comanion flanges changed / CVs etc , I just havent done the axles yet...............have been considering going smaller nugget actually

Going to get creative with the welder and see how the axles go anyway

Cut and respline is the way. 

Is your car Luke Keegans old one? Or was that someone else? 

The R200 is a monster bit of kit behind most engines.  

1 minute ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Yip Lukes one , we went to tech together a few years ago.

converted to r200 but its bloody massive.........slowly edging closer every week

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Not sure about jappas but when we used to modify 9 inch diffs we would always cut and weld axles.  Generally only the end of the axle where the spline is was hardened, So if you cut the spline off you also cut off the hardened portion.

So stoked for you. Needs some 3 piece wheels and done. 

A mate of mine (who has owned at least 10 x 1600s in the last 20 years, a bit of an expert and still owns a fj20et one.. ) told me that when it comes to Datsun 1600s, UJ axles may be less smooth but CV axles click and fail bad when 1600s are lowered where they need to be lowered to. 

I'm gonna run UJ myself. I'm also gonna run R180 clutch LSD from a Subaru STI 2004. Much better than viscous. Only some 2004-2006  STI  are R180 clutch type 3.9, so you need to do ya homework. 

See this site for total LSD conversion info. Same same as 240z and 240k.

You will need 27 spline stub axles for the subaru conversion. Standard Nissan is 25. I got mine from Kameari in Japan, cheaper and better than the US equivalent that people talk about. 

http://www.kangamotorsports.com/blog/2016/6/18/datsun-240z-limited-slip-differential

• Like 2

When john van beek shortened @datsunboy axles,  he said they were still hard enough that they needed need to be re heat treated. 

That car (now owned by Dan Adam's aka kids) has done untold skids/5th gear "O"s five up on 18psi. 

After he made it stupid low it has done a few CV's. But they're cheap and plentiful. 

I have a complete spare r200 CV axle conversion. And well as some spare R30 style outer companion flanges if you're looking.

Red for going fast.

Pulled the plugs out. They are all fairly toast.

Alternator was loose also so luxfab created a new tensioner.

Might have to dump the fuel. It has a full tank but previous owner said it was old stuff that he added his lawnmower furl to. Who knows how old that could be.

A few parts hopefully later in the week and see if it goes.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...