Sealed Batteries

Griffe

Cheers Cletus, I was wondering the same thing, so it seems the main gain from using a sealed (AGM) battery is for weight reduction as as sealed or wet battery will still have to be in a sealed box in order to meet Motorsport NZ & LVVTA rules.

So next question then, who’s got the best sealed battery boxes?!?!?!

1 hour ago, Griffe said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264640557215 Could be a good option 

looks pretty decent, shame about shipping price !!, get it filled with filers or something similar.

whatever you do, don't use the budget marine style ones. they don't seal and are illegal for use, but many scrutineers let them pass

previously, SLA/VRLA batteries were not required to be sealed, and i am one of many who paid the price. 

had a non-rusty RWD Toyota (yes, rare !!) rust from the inside out , and requires extensive repairs before next event

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Griffe said:

Cheers Cletus, I was wondering the same thing, so it seems the main gain from using a sealed (AGM) battery is for weight reduction as as sealed or wet battery will still have to be in a sealed box in order to meet Motorsport NZ & LVVTA rules.

They're also more reliable in vibrating environments and don't tend to self discharge as fast as traditional batteries. Can also run upside down or on their side, so can lower centre of gravity in car

I could be wrong though.

For the cost of the ebay box and the work required to make it actually comply here. I'd think you could get a box fabricated locally that would be miles better in every way. Or modify something that is already here, to suit. Can't be that hard to knock up a cube, with a sealed lid and a vent to outside. Can incorporate the fixings required into it. Rather than having to secure a plastic box. 2c.