Sound deadening

Leone

1 hour ago, 64valiant said:

I have used house foam underfelt its quite nice easy to cut and doesn't really soak up water.

Changed back to thick traditional underfelt just sits better over all. Also easy to get from my suppliers and used on a bunch of other things. 

Either works just as fine.

What about those thick grey shifting blankets, would they be any good? 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, yetchh said:

What about those thick grey shifting blankets, would they be any good? 

Pretty much underlay. They might have a bit more movement in them so not that stable/rigid.

If you were to ask me what I would actually recommend, i would say go buy some from an upholstery shop. I sell it for $50 a meter at 1.8 wide. You won't need 2 meters for a car or 1.6 for a ute, pay cash for a peace the guy has had under the bench and get it a bit cheaper.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

A friend just bought this up in another forums I am on (NZ)

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-stereos/other/listing-2732507824.htm?rsqid=e9f13944b2fa48bbaae154fbe4324020-002

PET & PP Quality Sound Deadener / Deadening (Self-adhesive) 80cm x 50cm $8

How would something like this compare do you reckon?

721826669.jpg

other than the perceived 'mass' of it vs KilMat

Or do I just recommend Kilmat?

I think its for his track dedicated Car (fast Street car)

thoughts?

• Thanks 1

fyi 

4 hours ago, Gripless said:

Initial feedback is that it works. 
you still need to seal the doors with traditional rubber/tar and alloy mat but it helped the floor and hatch area a noticeable amount. 
stuffing the very rear across under the latch with 3layers killed a lot of drone. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 12/03/2021 at 15:38, nzstato said:

Have just ordered some kilmat.  Any advice on some additional undercarpet insulator?  Pref not underfelt as it may get wet, options for a sticky backed foam?

I just came back inside after doing the back of my commer van. I opted for the usual underlay and shag carpet over sound matting. Reason being it is easy enough to drag out and dry if it gets wet. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, anglia4 said:

Amazon suggests that Noico Red closed cell foam insulation is often purchased with Kilmat.

Would that be suitable as the carpet underlay? Or would you still put felt with it as well?

no.

I would recommend going to buy some under felt from a local supplier. usually 50 bucks a meter 1.8 or two meters wide.

probably wouldn't put that under carpet as you might find it able to compress and movable causing it to brake down where under felt is a lot more hard wearing.

I would put this type of product on a fire wall or on a ceiling.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 64valiant said:

no.

I would recommend going to buy some under felt from a local supplier. usually 50 bucks a meter 1.8 or two meters wide.

probably wouldn't put that under carpet as you might find it able to compress and movable causing it to brake down where under felt is a lot more hard wearing.

I would put this type of product on a fire wall or on a ceiling.

Is there is a foam underlay you would reccomend?

I want to put something in the landrover but at the risk of doing a deep water crossing and underfelt would have to be removed entirely to dry...

34 minutes ago, nzstato said:

Is there is a foam underlay you would reccomend?

I want to put something in the landrover but at the risk of doing a deep water crossing and underfelt would have to be removed entirely to dry...

You can use foam underlay like in a house, but unless it's closed cell foam it will all absorb water. And that foam underlay will hold it longer than underfelt.

If you are thinking the under felt is going to get that wet I probably wouldn't be putting carpet in it.

I would look at rubber/vinyl matting.

But really depends how often you plan on getting the carpet and underfelt saturated. 10 times a year? Cause dehumidifiers work a treat in closed up vehicles to dry out carpet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 64valiant said:

You can use foam underlay like in a house, but unless it's closed cell foam it will all absorb water. And that foam underlay will hold it longer than underfelt.

If you are thinking the under felt is going to get that wet I probably wouldn't be putting carpet in it.

I would look at rubber/vinyl matting.

But really depends how often you plan on getting the carpet and underfelt saturated. 10 times a year? Cause dehumidifiers work a treat in closed up vehicles to dry out carpet.

Cheers, I still have quite a roll of marine carpet I was looking to use. 

So even close cell foam I'm going to get into trouble?

I've noticed there are companies like auto custom carpets that have form-fitting carpets specific to different years of various vehicles.  LHD but I wonder if they can make to order.  Their stuff can optionally come with "mass backing" which is apparently great for sound deadening and look. 

Spenny though, US$763 for carpet + mass backing for a complete replacement for my car.

But then I'm not sure how that stacks up vs proper padding/sound deadening and carpet for the whole car, and the faff of getting it all in..

2394-2.jpg

Probably cheaper to have an upholsterer make you a set locally, at least you know the fitment will be right. There is a place in aussie that does carpet as well as here. You'd have to do own homework on peoples experiences with them though.

• Like 1