Sound deadening

Leone

Hi guys

Sent his is possibly the wrong place for this. But I’m keen to try and make my car as quiet as possible as far as road noise go... I have seen the likes of dynamat and When I was talking to a carpet manufacturer they recommended putting the felt back in. Just wondering what the best combo is of an older car? Did a search but couldn’t find anything conclusive.

Cheers 

• Like 1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I lined the roof of my Holden with the sound deadener that Jay car have. The only problem was that it didn't stick that well to the original sound deadener that was on the roof. Made a big difference when giving the rood a slap. Will be doing the floors etc once the car is complied.

here's the post about Kilmat in KK's build thread

I believe it's deemed OS approved best bang for buck currently?

On 07/02/2020 at 20:52, KKtrips said:

Turned out the brand was kilmat and it was a crap load cheaper than dynamat. For example there is a dynamat kit on trade me for 369 for 3.3 square meters so around 110 a square meter or you can get kilmat for 43 a square. Or I paid to have it fast freighted and it still only cost me 58 a square.

• Like 1

i put felt down as well. 

i also did double deadening in some places and double felt in some places depending on the type of noise and size  and shape of panels

depends how lush you want it. The deadening and felt acts on different frequencies so both makes the best outcome

also depends on space, your carpet may not fit so well in places with lots of deadening

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Leone said:

Would you Guy’s  still put felt down in between the sound deadening and carpet or will only carpet over top of sound deadening alone be sufficient?

Felt is a must. Packs out the carpet and makes it nicer and if you glue your carper to your underfelt it will stay in place better and hold up longer/won't look like ass really fast.

Also the black tar product will get stuck to your carpet and will rip the carpet. Won't rip the underfelt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 64valiant said:

Felt is a must. Packs out the carpet and makes it nicer and if you glue your carper to your underfelt it will stay in place better and hold up longer/won't look like ass really fast.

Also the black tar product will get stuck to your carpet and will rip the carpet. Won't rip the underfelt.

Any tips on what kind of motor felt to use Greg? I've been tempted to use house underlay, (because cheap/free) but it's not really anything like the right stuff to use.

22 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Any tips on what kind of motor felt to use Greg? I've been tempted to use house underlay, (because cheap/free) but it's not really anything like the right stuff to use.

I have used house foam underfelt its quite nice easy to cut and doesn't really soak up water.

Changed back to thick traditional underfelt just sits better over all. Also easy to get from my suppliers and used on a bunch of other things. 

Either works just as fine.

• Thanks 2