Michael's Eunos Roadster

kyteler

22 minutes ago, Snoozin said:

are you gonna mod Mk1 Cortina lights for the tail panel cos that'd be bangin

I did consider that actually. Or Cherry lights, unfortunately I assumed right off the bat (perhaps incorrectly) that they would be more expensive than the Porter Cab option. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, HighLUX said:

Cheap 6 spud rx8 and swap in renesis goodness

Lol aren't you then swapping in the scrap engine which made it cheap in the first place? 

I've been looking into ITB's a bunch and the more I read the more it seems like there is little to no gain except the cool noise, maybe a little more top end and even less bottom end torque. So logic tells me I should do it anyway.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, ~Slideways~ said:

Lol aren't you then swapping in the scrap engine which made it cheap in the first place? 

I've been looking into ITB's a bunch and the more I read the more it seems like there is little to no gain except the cool noise, maybe a little more top end and even less bottom end torque. So logic tells me I should do it anyway.

That's the exact conclusion I came to as well. 

Why ITBs? Because ITBs. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So a week ago I did actually manage to find some time to get stuck into the replacing of parts on this thing.  First thing I did was in between rain showers, change the brake discs and pads.  This was a bit different than I was used to with the rears but actually super easy once I looked up why the fuck the piston wasn't retracting.. (there's a bolt at the back of the caliper with a hex head screw in it that needs rotated to pull the piston back)

50175120983_3d451a45be_b.jpg

Fronts were typical push back spec, nothing too exciting.

50175915112_77b94a1036_b.jpg 

• Like 9

Once I'd done that, I actually had the Monday off of work due to having been called in so often the boss gave me a "freebie" and I chose the Monday over the Friday as there was supposed to be less chance of rain, sadly it was still bitterly cold and there was fog out until midday.  However I decided I'd get stuck in around 9:30 regardless.

Everything was pretty straight forward.  I measured the powerframe before removing it and then attempting to drop the box.  Mine has an aftermarket exhaust (minus headers) and they put it in a slightly cunty place that I thought I was going to have to remove the exhaust to get the box out but I got there in the end even if that meant the gearbox dropping awkwardly and ejecting a large volume of trans fluid all over the ground.

50182594843_4b20d6a74b_b.jpg

50183396452_67c46fc738_b.jpg

Once the gearbag was free I removed the clutch and the flywheel only to see just how worn it was.  Have to say, it wasn't what I anticipated, it appears as though the outer edge of the clutch plate has worn and I don't know what's going on with the rest, needless to say it needed replaced though but there-in lied another issue...

50183137791_9d8ed6200e_b.jpg

50183138311_765bb874f3_b.jpg

50182595248_caa2c5910b_b.jpg

The flywheel itself looked similar to the pressure plate.

Anyway..  The issue...

Old bearing on left, rattley and fucked, new one on right, less rattley but the keen of eye may notice that the contact area is completely different.  This would be fine except for the fact that it needs to be the same for the replacement clutch.

50183138361_3a0dbaa003_b.jpg

So I tried to get a refund or a replacement sent due to the error but the return system is very linear at RockAuto and doesn't really allow for incorrect single components within a kit.  So rather than fuck around I just ordered a replacement SKF genuine one along with another slave cylinder as I didn't like the look of the current one when dropping the box.  They are due to arrive next week, Monday (11th) ish.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...