Yetchh's "more problems than I expected" bay kombi

yetchh

Hey man, good luck with the rebuild, body and the engine. Those cracked heads are very common on the old twinports, time to replace. Do your research, if the bore is to large the cylinder walls can be to thin and this can lead to problems. These things are strangled from the factory so carbs, cam and exhaust can improve things a lot. Like any engine, cooling is very important, all tinwear and seals need to be in place for the air to flow correctly. Oil cooling is also important, your engine has the later doghouse style oilcooler, with is the best, extra cooling and filter can add a good couple liters of oil to the system.

• Like 1

On 08/07/2020 at 11:57, 63Ragtop said:

Hey man, good luck with the rebuild, body and the engine. Those cracked heads are very common on the old twinports, time to replace. Do your research, if the bore is to large the cylinder walls can be to thin and this can lead to problems. These things are strangled from the factory so carbs, cam and exhaust can improve things a lot. Like any engine, cooling is very important, all tinwear and seals need to be in place for the air to flow correctly. Oil cooling is also important, your engine has the later doghouse style oilcooler, with is the best, extra cooling and filter can add a good couple liters of oil to the system.

Got the 90.5 barrels which are thick wall so all good. Was initially going for a 1641 with twin 34ict's but now I think I might need to go twin 40 idf's etc. I would imagine it would still go good with the 34's, I mean, my mazda 2.0 is a 28/32 with 80hp. 

Also been looking at the oil filter kits for these, this where it all starts to add up. Apart from the case, rods and flywheel, most of the engine will be new.. 

• Like 1