Fuel injectors

Kiwibirdman

When I tried to start the VT 304 in my EJ Holden it wouldn't run and we worked out the injectors were mainly blocked.

?Is it worth cleaning them, the problem is the engine has sat for 6 or so years? If so what is the best way to clean them?

If not where is the best place to get replacement injectors?

Ive heard mixed results from injector cleaning.

But if youve got a standard ecu then you really need the standard injector to go with it. 

So unless you can find second hand replacements in better condition then cleaning would be your best bet.

Ultrasonic cleaning might be needed if theyre really bad but you could try some of the injector cleaning stuff that you just tip in the gas tank.

Some injectors have replacable filter baskets in the top, can buy replacements if theyre clogged.

• Like 1

I had a similar problem firing up a Holden V6 that hadn't been run for years. I ended up pulling the fuel rail from the manifold and resting it on the engine, with the injectors fitted. Ran the  fuel pump via a hot wire then 12v on/off to each injector in turn. Some started working after that. I swapped the 'dead' ones for used ones from the old engine. 

Sprayed quite a bit of atomised fuel around the shed though.

YMMV  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sheepers said:
19 hours ago, sheepers said:

The injectors are probably just stuck, happens all the time. 

Just give them a bit of a wack then pulse them with 12 volts off the battery with a couple of fly leads.  They should free up.

So far got 6 out of 8 going, the last 2 are not clicking at all. Have them soaking in carb cleaner.

Right. Number 7 decided to work OK after a bath in carb cleaner for a couple of hours. The last one wouldn't play ball. I belted it against the wooden bench a few times still no joy. Though fuck it, nothing to loose now, smacked it against the vice half a dozen times. Applied power and Click it went. 

Thanks for the advice @sheepers.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1