Sams 1UZ Squirt

nzstato

Getting it home I cut/polished out some of the marks across the hull.

Did a bit of digging and found some tools, spares, etc. and since it came from southland there was a can of Speights in one of the seat pockets....

IMG_1005.thumb.jpg.577aaab5b4bf8e0898618cc94841f3a4.jpg

Wasnt happy with how the accel pedal was set up, the throttle isnt returning after you take your foot off which not only is a massive pain but also a safety issue....  The morse cable is old, probably gummed up.  When to take the front assembly off and some bright spark has welded it to the floor.... I cut the welds and will bolt it back once I figure out the issue....

IMG_1010.thumb.jpg.1e24071f155af1624e2e21655a3f8f88.jpg

Don't have any EFI experience but this presents an opportunity to learn.... bought a serial cable and read all of the main manuals online so I could plug it in a see what kind of tune was on it....  Doesnt look like anyone has gone to much effort with the tune, also there is no startup enrichment setup on it, likewise someones taken out the idle speed control (since the MS wont run the stock 6 wire unit).  I know as much as the internet/youtube is telling me so any advice is welcome...

WIth the heat exchanger setup I can uncouple the jet unit and use the garden hose as the water source to run it up in the drive.... the neighbors are going to love me...

image.png.46f3598da0a14fb6e74e1bd4661fd638.png

IMG_1012.jpg

• Like 7

Pondering next steps on the ECU/1UZ...  with the idle control missing the start ups aren't that great...  would look to add one of the aftermarket 2-wire kits and somehow run an O2 sensor (I have some ideas)...  Thinking I might just stick with what it is for ~6 months, iron out some of the other things and then do the above, upgrade to a MS3 and run CoP with a fully sequential setup and put a new loom in.....

I bought this because it wasn't suppose to be 'a project'....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Vid isnt the greatest and my dad didn't learn to hold it landscape but here is a quick blat up the Taieri river.  You can only go ~6km up the gorge and it quickly goes from placid to some heavy lifts to completely un boatable - didn't go as far to show those parts.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Bought a few m of marine carpet and glued it into the front hull and sides.  Makes it look a bit tidier but also hoping it'll make the hull a bit quieter when on the water.  Mounted in a new fire extinguisher, coz, you know, safety....

IMG_1363.thumb.jpg.cb6a4b647d329701ecd998c9be2544a2.jpg

IMG_1364.thumb.jpg.7977924086fb167f655baadf02493f47.jpg

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Short vid clip of some playing in  Lake Waihola with the family.  Spot where I ended up coming in a bit hot and ended up on the beach.  Was difficult to restart a few times when hot, need to revisit the start map and maybe add a few ms back in the injection timing.  Up in Wanaka in a few weeks so planning to push it a bit more up the braids.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Had a few good days up at Wanaka.  Couldnt get up the Matukituki with the weather time frame I had but all had a great time...

Speedo on my ph shows me that cruising is ~40-45 kph and tops out at ~70kph pulling 4500rpm. 

Added a little bit more juice on the warm startup map and now it starts hot/cold with a flick of the key and no throttle, still need to check out where I'm running on the accel/deccel map but feels sprightly and doesn't use all that much fuel for the amount of play I was having.

Still chasing some minor leaks... found one dripping down the steering shaft, there is a small o-ring in there which I'll need to replace at some point down the track...

Also got the word from the wifey I can shell out on a Trim Nozzle, turns out the kids don't like getting blasted by the jetwash while riding on the biscuit....

Some nice boats in the campground... chatted to a few owners as am thinking about re-hulling or buy new in a few years. 

Will collate a vid or two in the next day or so

141687289_10224507640180166_1197100500316662648_o.jpg.dc60b82673c1b944564ce5f2106a7c33.jpg

• Like 9

• 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Vintage Grumble said:

What have you got in the way of engine bay venting? I want to seal mine up as sound tight as possible, but then worry about the motor eating stinky hot air, wondering what the best thing to do is? 

Its fairly well vented.  There is an open port on the cover near the air intake.  Its open between the floor and bilge space and there are small vents on the rear bulkhead.  The fuel tanks at the rear are vented separately

If you are worried about water ingress I'd seal up your top cover as best you can, add a vent (wherever is best) for the intake and run a bulkhead vent well above the waterline.

Helpful I hope?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

With a few extra dollars in my pocket I've shelled out and ordered a new trim nozzle.

Been on the cards for a little while, should improve launch and keep the spray off the kids when on the biscuit.

DSC_0993.JPG.426682f92d7c3e71ed261ca936e9d7c0.JPG

Last run I think the wires off the bilge pump got too close to driveshaft and ripped them clean off.  Bought a pair online so I wired one in with a terminal block and still have an extra if need to replace easy enough on the river.

Also think I've chased down my last few leaks so will sort them out when I fit the new nozzle.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

More bits and pieces but this may help someone else out. 

I found that the steering knuckle for the FloPro item must have a different point in the shaft where the flat is milled for the taper pin to go into compared to whatever 770 copy I have here.

I first tried to redrill a new hole for the taper pin but I was unhappy with how little brass was left around it - if it was to split there I would be in trouble.  The FP item does have quite a recess milled into the end

knuckle.thumb.jpg.7eadd01bd4f4bba267b8c7dfbfe6a897.jpg

Decided to make one from scratch out of some square brass bar, in hindsight I could have remilled a new flat in the shaft but dont quite have the setup to do that and many ways to skin a cat....

knuckle2.thumb.jpg.79f4cb980d7ba4497c3c2f0f96f3a528.jpg

knuckle1.thumb.jpg.f24eb944d74ab451e0a6ef9c10d55d1d.jpg

Took it out for a quick blat in the weekend.  Pretty happy with the results, gets up on the plane now superquick (very little bow rise), planes slower and kicks up a nice jet at full speed.  Off to Central labour weekend so hopefully get it out a bit more.

• Like 4